Discuss Tiling On Plasterboard In A Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dylan M

Hey guys. This is my first time so if I'm in the wrong forum section. Sorry in advance.

Well this is my problem. My mum has gotten a person to do teh tiling and stuff in our bathroom. He recently put plasterboard onto the wall side where the bath will be put. He started to tile on it with the adhesive so far. I was just wondering is this the correct way to do it? 'Cause I was researching it and people are saying that if the tiles are going straight onto adhesive then onto the plasterboard, the plasterboard may rot if water get's in? I'm worried that we should have skimmed this before?

If there is any help or ideas, or if you want me to make it any simpler and explain it in further detail I will try to to this for you.

Thank's in advance.

D

Dylan M

it's a waterproofing barrier Dylan, it can come in the form of a membrane that you stick on with cement based tile adhesive, or it comes in a tub that you paint on with a roller/brush. It's not a legal requirement in the uk, but more and more tilers are doing this now.

Is it a good thing to use, and if we dont use it, will tehre be any hassel in the future?

M

marke

welcome mate :oops:PVA a definite no-no for me mate should be using a proper primer on the plasterboard , you can read loads on these forums about why not PVA mate have a look , and again as above i think tanking should always be used nowadays we have all pulled out enough bathrooms to prove its needed , so dont panic but i would be asking a few questions of the tiler personally

D

doug boardley

PVA is very old school and should be banned from tiling, are you sure it's PVA and not a diluted SBR or acrylic primer? they all look very similar!
The problem of having a shower and no tanking is that if the shower is used heavily, say more than twice a day, the grout never gets time dry out and water will eventually ingress into the plasterboard, or plaster for that matter.

D

Dylan M

PVA is very old school and should be banned from tiling, are you sure it's PVA and not a diluted SBR or acrylic primer? they all look very similar!
The problem of having a shower and no tanking is that if the shower is used heavily, say more than twice a day, the grout never gets time dry out and water will eventually ingress into the plasterboard, or plaster for that matter.

Hey Doug.

I went and checked what he's used and it's a PVA From a company called Palace. It says its a sealer and adhesive...Is this still bad? Should i talk to him about taking the tiles + adhesive off + putting on something else then retiling it? He's put around 6 tiles on .

T

tfs

Hi mate,

I agree with everyone else that primer should not be PVA. Saying that though I used it a few years back on my kitchen floor and have had no problems.

With regards to the tanking, many guys on this forum (myself included) beive that tanking kits should be incorporated when tiling in shower areas, however the truth is that a large number of tilers dont do this. One reason being that customer and tiler do not want the added expense, in addition to this some tilers dont even no much about this practice. If you can afford this added peice of mind go for it but if not I personally wouldnt worry too much as if your tiles have been installed correctly then this shouldnt be a problem as it is a reasonably recent thing in the domestic market.

A

A.J.B.E.G.B

Are you happy with his work - the way the tiles look? Dont be offended by this but it sounds like your looking for faults. Agree PVA is not suitable, but i think a lot of companies call their primers PVA, although their acrylic primers, i think Granfix do. Double check this with Palace. If its suitable then just let your tiler get on with the job unless your not happy with the workmanship. Tiling onto plasterboard is much better than tiling onto skimmed plaster. I always offer to tank showers, sometimes customers buy it sometimes they dont. Perhaps you should mention the tanking issue with the tiler, you never know you might educate him!

Hope the rest of the project goes well

D

DHTiling

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling On Plasterboard In A Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am about to tile a walk-in shower with 30x60 wall tiles that resemble coffered...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I'm looking for advice regarding the tile becker fitted on the plasterboard. It's...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB