UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling on plywood wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

Re: Tiloing on plywood wall

I would imagine that your grout has all cracked and failed on these walls and I think even after using the best of adhesive and smallest of tiles this would continue to happen without proper prep work.

To be honest with you I wouldn't want to tile these walls in this condition and would probs reccomend the likes of multi panel or respitex if sorting out the walls was not an option.

T

tfs

Re: Tiloing on plywood wall

Nope. I've taken some tiles off. I had to use a floorboard chisel & hammer. Each one came off seperately. None are loose. The adhesive (whatever it is) has mostly come off with the tiles.

Sounds like the grout was holding them together then mate.

Well bonded tiles will break into peices and the adhesive sticks just as well to the substrate as it does to the tile.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike

plasterboard would only bring it out 10mm each side, can you not afford that? as for no more nails you can't stick tiles with grab adhesives or silicon. no more nails is rubbish anyway. you need to try get a good substrate or you may end up regretting it. the old tiles were only thin and light and it looks like you were lucky they never fell off. the new tiles are probably bigger and heavier

G

GaryS

as with all jobs there is a right way and a wrong way to do things it seems some here have forgotten that for years and years before cement boards or other tile backing systems tiling was done onto plywood as a matter of course, use a larger grout join and a flexible addy. if you use the flat of the trowel to back butter the ply before applying addy to the area it will help the addy to stick to the ply also back butter the tiles and it is highly unlikely that they will come unstuck.

T

tfs

as with all jobs there is a right way and a wrong way to do things it seems some here have forgotten that for years and years before cement boards or other tile backing systems tiling was done onto plywood as a matter of course, use a larger grout join and a flexible addy. if you use the flat of the trowel to back butter the ply before applying addy to the area it will help the addy to stick to the ply also back butter the tiles and it is highly unlikely that they will come unstuck.

Ply is still tiled onto these days mate but should not be when its as thin as hardboard as Rover has mentioned. This is why most of use would rather sort out the wall first. Ply aside there will probably be too much bounce in this wall and thin ply can warp easily. I would go as far to say that this sheet of ply was probably nailed on to the stud work (which is probably also very thin)

Regardless of how good a bond you get to the ply the grout may well crack if the wall is as bad as Rover has described.

Sorry for the rant:lol: but there seems to be more issues than just tiling onto ply here mate

Reply to Tiling on plywood wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi, Apologies, this is quite a long question... I am currently renovating my bathroom and soon...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.