Discuss Tiling on to a painted wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

taylor tiling

Score the wall with a stanley knife and see how easily the paint chips off. Remember that the bond with the wall will only be as strong as the paint ! If it flakes off easily make a wall rake out of 2 bits of batten with nails or screws sticking through along the top to make a "rake". The more paint removed the better. Ready mixed adhesives set hard by losing their moisture into the tile and substrate. If theres a waterproof barrier on the wall it wont set as well. At least I think thats what I was taught :)

W

White Room

Score the wall with a stanley knife and see how easily the paint chips off. Remember that the bond with the wall will only be as strong as the paint ! If it flakes off easily make a wall rake out of 2 bits of batten with nails or screws sticking through along the top to make a "rake". The more paint removed the better. Ready mixed adhesives set hard by losing their moisture into the tile and substrate. If theres a waterproof barrier on the wall it wont set as well. At least I think thats what I was taught :)

If it's a plasterboard wall then don't use the stanley, it will weaken the wall.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on to a painted wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB