Discuss Tiling on to Chipboard (Bathroom ) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

lad25

Just after a bit of advice , I'm going to tile my bathroom floor which is chipboard and solid . Its about 2.5m2 so I was thinking about using hardibacker 6mm to cover . What adhesive would you suggest for sticking the board down with and what screws also what grout and adhesive would you suggest for the tiles ? Or do you suggest a different method altogether .......

Thanks
in advance ..... :huh2:

H

Highlander

Hi there,

For all the size of the bathroom and as you say the floor is sound and no movement I would just go with Bal Fastflex cheaper option works well and you wont have a step into bathroom also use widejoint flexible grout.

There will be various opinions use this and use that, end of day Bal make a really good product it does what is says on the packet and as long as substrate is sound I would have no problem using it on your floor.

Highlander

H

Highlander

Single part thin bed to bed the boards, this removes any voids, and then same on top and you shouldn’t have any problems. BAL Supaflex grout, happy days.

I do miss tiling!

Got to disagree with you here mate Single part aint for chipboard if he is going to lay Hardibacker he will still need to use Fastflex to stick the boards to the floor and still screw down. You would get away with single part on Plywood. Unless you are telling me Hardibacker recommend using single part flexible adhesive to use for laying their boards on chipboard???

Highlander

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Highlander

I've tiled on chipboard floors (the green one) and used soverign porcal flex and when sticking 6mm hardie boards with sbr mixed with porcal flex, Never had a problem, Floors had no deflection

Aye but if it ever did go wrong it would be on your neck. If you want to cut corners by all means feel free but end of day it does not say on the bag to use it on chipboard or does it? as I never used soverign porcal flex.

Each to there own just would not cut corners at the prep stage.

Highlander

F

fullingdale

I've been reading this type of problem with interest and wondered if someone could advise the best option for me.

My bathroom (about 1800mm x 1200mm floor area) has been floored with sheets of T&G chipboard and from what I have read the general consensus is to cover this with 12mm WBP plywood, screwed at 12-16" and then tile over the top, with a flexible adhesive.

A few questions then.

Should I use an adhesive (in addition to the screws) when laying the ply?

If so, any recommendations as to a brand/type?

What type of screws are most appropriate for the job?

Is there a particular adhesive that would be best for the tiles being laid?

Lastly, does this type of job necessitate any special grout?

Many thanks for your advice.

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Welcome to the forums. If you want to use a single part adjesive then you really should be putting a minimum of 15mm ply down to avoid problems with manufacturers warranties. If you don't want such a big step and will continue with the 12mm ply then I recommend you check out Ardex-flex 7001 adhesive. it is specially designed for this type of installation. You should seal the back and edges of the ply with polyurethane varnish before laying the ply and screw INTO the t&g boards at no more than 300mm centre (smaller if you have the patience), prime the tiling surface with neat Ardex P51 primer and allow to dry, then commence laying your tiles.

F

fullingdale

Sorry, I should have asked this one first time round ... is it a typical practice (noting the small space that I am working with) to use the ply in plank form, covering the floor with a number of pieces (staggering joints with the T&G underneath) or should I be trying the craziness of laying the PLY as a single sheet (I can't see that to be possible). When pieces of PLY butt up to each other, what should I be doing about those edges? The same as just suggested for the outer edges, I guess?

F

fullingdale

But with the "whites" already fitted, I'll have to either cut the PLY around them or would it make more sense to lift them out, do the tiling and then put them back in? In asking, I realise that the finish would be better, if I did ... and if that's the case, I guess that my builders could have done me a favour and spoke to me about this before they plumbed everything in.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on to Chipboard (Bathroom ) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB