Discuss Tiling on to hardwall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Delosdos

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me out with some bathroom tiling related queries! :)

A couple of months ago I stripped off the tiles in our bathroom. As the tiles came down they pulled off a lot of the backing plaster and revealed the bricks/thermal blocks underneath. As the bathroom was tiled from floor to ceiling on all four sides this left a bit of an ugly, bumpy mess. To patch things up I PVA'd the wall and slapped on a layer of hardwall. Now, after sorting out the plumbing I've got to the stage where I'd like to put up the new tiles. The tiles are quite chunky, 30cm x 60cm x 0.9cm, and weigh about 22kg per square meter.

I've bought some Bal SBR and originally I had hope to get away with coating the hardwall with the SBR and tiling on to that. However, after doing lots of research online it sounds like tiling over hardwall with or without the SBR as a primer is a big no-no. Is this correct?

Unfortunately we don't have enough room to board over the walls. The bathroom is tiny and I've already had to chase the bath 2cm in to the wall. If I put aquaboards up I'd be encasing the bath in place, which just sounds messy.

I am now thinking about putting on a skim of multifinish, and then putting the SBR on top of that. Question is - does this sound like a sensible idea? The tile weight is slightly over the 20kg per square meter recommendation for gypsum plaster, but i'm hoping I can get away with it. At least, it sounds preferable to the alternative of tiling over the hardwall at any rate.

Anyway ideas/pointers would be massively appreciated! :)

Many thanks!

D

Delosdos

Hi, sure here you go - it's a bit rubbish as I took it on my phone, but all the walls are pretty much like this. It's a small room, only 1.7m x 2.2m

IMG_0715.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Delosdos

Yes, since taking that photo a couple of days ago, I insulated the shower pipes and skimmed over them :)

Our house was built in the 1930's and we bought it a couple of years ago, most of the plaster in the other rooms disintegrated as we stripped off the wall paper so we've more or less re-plastered the entire house now. I've always used hardwall for jobs like this in the rest of the house, prior to skimming with multifinish and it's done a good job. I assumed it would be perfectly adequate for the bathroom too, but it seems like it might not be. If I didn't use hardwall, it sounds like sand + cement render would have been better for tiling on from what i've heard, but it's too late for that now unfortunately :)

Anyone got any suggestions on what could be done to give the tiles the best possible chance of sticking to the wall for as long as can reasonably be expected?

Cheers

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on to hardwall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB