UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling on top of existing tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

big dj

customer asked me to have a look at her new bathroom, to add some colour as she felt it was boring, a very reputable company installed a full new bathroom for £££££, the only tiles they put up were in the bath area these were white and she was right it is very boring,however it came to light during our conversation that the company had tiled over the existing tiles in the bath area and plastered over the rest of the tiled walls. I think she should contact the company regarding the job can you give me any advice on how to do this??

Cheers Des

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi,

Tiling on existing tiles is a done thing providing they've 'sounded' / checked the existing tiles and can assure that the weight of the total two layers of tiles doesn't exceed what the substrate can carry. There's some threads already covering this if you use the search facility on the forums to search for 'tiling on tiles' you should find a couple of decent reads.

As per the plastering on tiles, i've never heard of this. Are you sure they haven't took the old tiles off in the areas where they've plastered?

If you do need to contact the company though, then the custoemr should have their details to hand. Tell the customer to give them a call due to a couple of concerns related to the expensive job. They should pop out at least to explain what they've done.

TTA can give you more advice as to what the standards are, and if the job is up to scratch. The Tile Association Give them a call though rather than searching on their website.

I hope i've helped.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling on top of existing tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.