UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling on wood and concrete combined flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ren+

Hi guys

I have an area of about 50 sq.m (hallway, passage, kitchen & dining room all linked) to tile of which 7sq.m is planked timber flooors over joists. The wood floor is in the hallway and covers about half the hallway. The wood and concrete meet level and is currently carpeted. I'm aware that I will need to put a movement joint where the wood and concrete meets. Permitting the boards do not have excessive deflection in them, would it be best to overlay the timber floor with backerboards and if so, what adhesive (can you mention a brand as well pls) do I secure them with? Do you recommend screws as well. Secondly, whatever you secure to the wooden floor, it will now be higher than the concrete as a result. How do I overcome this? Would you recommend an slc to loose the height variance over a larger area?
Thirdly, I've seen a post elsewhere where advice was given to put ply (and not the thin stuff I'd imagine either) under the backerboard if there is excessive deflection in the wooden floor. The floor variance would then be more pronounced ... how do you overcome this withthe variance making it all the harder to lose an obvious slope.
Any advice on the above questions will be greatly appreciated. Wooden floors have been my worst nightmare when it comes to tiling.

Thx
Andre'

R

Ren+

Thx for your input Martino. They are planks, most likely 18 to 20mm. I would have thought that noggings would give sideways support to the joists. If the joists run longways and they obviously have the deflection, how would noggings help if they were being fixed at intervals to the joists? Correct me if I'm wrong. I've never tried the backerboard & ply option so all advice will be good thx.

C

Concrete guy

If the surfaces are all the same level and you have enough height for a 12mm reinforcement I would do the following (and fitted this spec for many years).

Glue (SPF adhesive) and screw 12mm Aquapanel across the whole lot. Drill, plug, glue and screw using washers on the concrete area. Tape all the joints

If there is excessive movement at the join between the concrete and the floorboards then reinforce this area first.

The above will tie the two substrates together and give a stable floor on which to fix. I see no value in an uncoupling membrane on this installation unless there is a possibility of noticeable shear movement in the form of expansion and contraction.

R

Ren+

Thx for your post ATSDT. I get what you're saying with the aqua panel to solve the wood floor prob and carry through the same height throughout and it makes sense as being 'fail proof'. It just feels strange to put an extra layer of cement board on existing stable screed throughout the rest of the project (another 43 sq.m) at the cost of at least £15/sq.m plus labour. I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to minimise cost wisely.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on wood and concrete combined flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Following advice from a damp and timber report carried out we were advised to a apply a coat of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello We live in a townhouse built 2007. Both the floors are concrete. The first floor kitchen...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.