UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling onto 6mm ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

theskiingbear

We have just had our bathroom floor tiled onto 6mm ply by a tiler. He was adamant that if the floor shows no signs of movement and the ply is attached every *** mm (forget the number), that it would be ok to tile as the ply would be teated first with a primer, and flexible adhesives and grouts would be used. Another opinion on this would be appeciated. Thanks

T

theskiingbear

I was expecting you to say this and dreading you would. The gout has started to crack, he told us that he didnt have the flexible additive to add to the grout when he did it as it had frozen. Told us no problem as he will rake it out and redo using the additive. We havent paid him but this is the second time in a month we have had the floor done. as the last tiler made a major mess of the floor. Advice herer much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

theskiingbear

Wooden floorboads directly onto joists. The tiler made a real play about the fact that he had fixed these well to the joists and that the ply joints are not over any joist joints. His opinion was that if the floor below the ply is sound and not moving it is Ok to ply 6mm only. He said that 18mm ply would not help if the floorboards are not fixed well. Pushed the 6mm ply on grounds that we would have had a large step between the bathroom floor and the carpeted area outside the door. I am mega stressed that we have got a big issue on our hands, again....

D

Deleted member 9966

mail

this is what I found in B&Q today, so I'm not surprised people accept it when a "tiler" says 6mm ply will do the job

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
Hi Kilty, its the same job or should i say a redo of the last botch up. No we didnt prep anything, all works been done by tiler. I think given what everyone has said, many thanks to you all, we have to ask them to remove and redo at their cost.

hi skiing bear,i asked because i remember your 1st post about bal coming out etc for the bodge job you got, then i read your post looking for a tiler after that 2 weeks ago

it says that the areas have been prepped with ply and aquaboard by the plumbers and are ready to go. that is why i asked did you prep it yourself,but your saying the tiler prepped it.
were the tilers attached to the plumbers /were the plumbers the main contractors? or were they seperate firms paid individually,this is important in regards to who your going to seek to fix it as incase you didnt get anyone from here to do it did the plumbers supply a tiler for you cheers ski

T

theskiingbear

Whats happened is we had a contactor in that was due to manage the removal of the bathroom and the refit. They removed and made good the plumbing but they got stuck getting a tiler. Thats when I posted for a tiler, we didnt get any takers unfortunately, shame. We found a tiler, recommended. They came in last week to tile floors and walls but they couldnt as the plumbing wasnt quite right. The plumbing got fixed. The plumbes had laid 18mm ply down but not attached it. As it tuned out the floorboards werent attached well, according to our tiler, so the tiler sorted this and changed the ply to 6mm. The plumbes challenged the tiler on this but the tiler said Ok to go on 6mm ply. I am going to ty and post a pic now.

T

theskiingbear

any chance of some pics of the floor in question and the problems
floor.jpg

Floor laid on the 29th, grouted on the 30th. No traffic on it as yet, bathroom empty... The grout is cracking in one area only at this point, but to me it looks like more cracking is on the way. The minute we start walking on it I dont doubt the issue will get much worse

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

the cracks in pic are movement cracks not shrinkage cracks 6mm ply is way under specs cant understand why a tiler would downgrade if the right material is already there height diff or not a regrout will not rectify this problem in my opinion and think its best to remove all and re do with the original ply (18mm plus)
cant believe im gona say this but plumber was right
sorry not the news you wanted but best to go over board with prep work than to skimp

jay

Reply to Tiling onto 6mm ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.