Discuss Tiling onto aluminium Wundafloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

robwatsontiling

Hi,
I'm due to start a job tomorrow installing beautiful 600x600 black basalt tiles onto a wet ufh system from wundafloor. However I'm really concerned about the advice I've received from wundafloor. On speaking with them they say that tiling directly onto the system with any s2 adhesive is fine with no primer or self levelling required. I was going to use bal single part fast flex s2 but think maybe I should use mapei just incase there are future issues with liability.

Substrate is concrete base, 100mm insulation, then the wundafloor system with aluminium spreader sheets.

Wundafloors own installation guide states that mapei primer must be used prior to 5mm mapei slc then tile using mapei s2 which even contradicts there own sales staffs advice to me.

Has anyone tiled onto this system? All advice welcomed.

Link to wundafloor installation guide...
http://www.wundafloorheating.co.uk/download/F01%20Overfloor%20panel%20fact%20sheet.pdf

Still seems a bit foreign to me to tile onto aluminium/insulation directly.

Help!!

Cheers.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
When you add water to cemet you produce hydroxyl ions. These react with un oxidised aluminium to evolve hydrogen gas which will cause a honey combing effect in your adhesive thus weakening it considerably. The aluminium shoul be primed in my opinion to prevent this reaction. However that would weaken the interface bond as yu would be sticking to primer and not aluminium. If the primer is not firmly adhered to the aluminium the tiles will delaminate.

sounds dodgy as heck to me...

R

Rookery

I can understand your nervousness. Expensive if it fails and you can bet your bottom dollar that you'd get the blame from your customer if it did. I've not tiled over this myself but personally and especially in view of Ajax's comments re the chemistry, I absolutely would not proceed without first getting Wunderfloor to agree in writing the exact spec and with you following it to the letter. Along the way I'd back myself up by keeping a written and photographic record of the proceedings.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling onto aluminium Wundafloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I am want to get my new build kitchen floor, hallway and utility tilled. I am plaining on...
Replies
Views
Nalaka Vithanage
N
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB