Discuss Tiling onto Marley tiles??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

Hey up.

A freind wants his kitchen floor tiling. Its a council house. He currently has 9inch light beige hard/rigid plastic tiles down. I managed to break a corner of one up and it breaks into pieces. They are tiled onto a concrete substrate and there is a black sticky adhesive with a wafer thin brown paper mixed in it. (from the corner bit I broke up).

The tiles are of sound condition. I only managed to break a bit up because of the new kitchen units are thinner than the old, so there is a 1 inch gap all round.

What are my options prior to tiling? FROM MY SEARCHING IVE READ THESE MOST PROBABLY HAVE ASBESTOS IN THEM.

Ive also read I can tile over them if they are of good condition which they are...

Ive also read of people using a sbr slurry??? prior to tiling onto them? Could someone explain the details of this. I usually use mapei/tilegiant products...

I was initially going to take them up with heavy duty scraper, but ive been scared of because of the ASBESTOS.

P.S could I use a 2 part self levelling floor screed over the top of them,.??? Then tile away a few days later?

Any advice Thanks.

J

John the tile

Hello

When you say SBR, do you mean the BAL bond 1L tub you buy from topps tiles.? Then mix that 50/50 with cement. i.e a bag of portland cement or cement based flexi addy?

Then when thats tacky use the 2 part, slc that i mentioned straight on top of this? or will it be ok just to start tiling once the slurry is tacky?

Have I got this right so far?

The 2 part self levelling compound that im on about takes a few days to dry out. When its dry should I prime it prior to tiling?

thanks

p.s would you take the tiles up regardless of the asbestos?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling onto Marley tiles??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling onto Marley tiles???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.