Discuss Tiling onto MDF in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Well I never ! after all these years I learn something new !

I was approached to tile a bathroom, then I was informed the tiles were 600 x 600 Porcelain and the walls ????...MDF.
I said no way ! , Client accepted my reasons .
I also said I was too busy to do the job anyway.

Today a voicemail message telling me... " I have checked with the adhesive manufacturer and yes you can tile to MDF as long as its sealed"

So there you go, I thought I would share this with you as we all need to learn something new.....any , Anyone want a bathroom to tile ...nice flat smooth walls .!

M

MTiler

Well I never ! after all these years I learn something new !

I was approached to tile a bathroom, then I was informed the tiles were 600 x 600 Porcelain and the walls ????...MDF.
I said no way ! , Client accepted my reasons .
I also said I was too busy to do the job anyway.

Today a voicemail message telling me... " I have checked with the adhesive manufacturer and yes you can tile to MDF as long as its sealed"

So there you go, I thought I would share this with you as we all need to learn something new.....any , Anyone want a bathroom to tile ...nice flat smooth walls .!

What type of sealer, or do they mean primer?

Its not April is it??

Hahaha!!

This subject grabbed my attention, as I have a cloakroom shower to do. Noticed the windowsill was made of MDF, and there is also no ventilation.

No doubt the windowsill will be gloss painted, so I guess it is sealed in someway. But if any moisture where to get in the MDF wouldn't it swell up. And for tiling purposes, even just the primer alone would be enough to make it swell up wouldn't it? And I'm assuming these are dry internal walls being talked about, not wetrooms or balconies!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling onto MDF in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
Good Morning,new member here, been in the game 25 years, but never too old to learn stuff. I...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB