Discuss Tiling onto old tiles?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I almost did this for a mate last year, the tiles seemed soundly fixed onto brick walls, I don't remember what it was, some small thing that led me to push a tile, it collapsed, nothing but grout holding it together, from there it was like dominoes, we ended up stripping all 4 walls back to brick as it was all definitely NOT sound, after that, I would probably walk from any job where I couldn't strip off the old tiles, not worth it.

D

DHTiling

I must admit that its not always advisable to tile on existing tiles, but its reasonably common to do it now-a-days, as long as the old tiles are on a sound fixing there shouldn't be any problems. i believe "bal white star" allows to fix tile on tile, which is in a tub, or most flexible powered adhesive also capable of doing it. oh, make sure you prime all walls up first!

What about substrate weight issues..?

J

jonboythetiler

Like i said, as long as the tiles are not loose or blown, i don't really see weight as an issue. Obviously you've got to use common sense, but i've done loads of tile on tile,and never had any come-backs. I always advice the customer that its not recommended, as the tiles i lay are only as good as the surface i work on.

I've seen tiles 4 or 5 deep before, not that i would go that far! ;)

G

Gazrus

K this is an old issue, that has been discussed many times.
You are relying on the original adhesive to keep everything on the wall, hence the weight issue.
Its best to strip the old tiles off, that way you can ensure the substrate is sound for tiling to.
I recently turned down a job because the customer was adamant about T over T, someone else did the job & some tiles fell off.
Therefore stripping old tiles off would be my recommendation

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling onto old tiles?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling onto old tiles??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.