Discuss Tiling over existing tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

Martin

the best advice any tiler on here will give you about tiling over existing tiles is DON'T DO IT!

you cannot guarantee how well stuck the existing tiles are plus tiling over existing might take you over safe substrate weights on walls. for example, don't try and fix stone (limestone, travertine etc) to existing tiles.

you might be able to get away with tiling over existing floor tiles but each situation needs to be assessed on its own merits.

best advice is to strip all the old tiles off, make good the walls/floors, and start from fresh.

D

Deleted member 9966

GirlRacerRed and Sir Ramic, they are small 6x6 ceramic wall tiles that have been "araldited" onto a stud wall - I have explained that the preferred option would be to remove, but the lady doesnt want the added expense of any remedial work on the stud wall, should it be heavily damaged in the removal of.

The tiles going over the top are 12 x 8.......

can you be sure it's araldite that was used to stick the 6x6's up?

J

johnryan

this seems to come up quite a lot from what i've seen, and while i've never tiled on tile myself, it's wasn't because of any of the reasons that i've since learned here. the question i'd like to ask is; is there any time that it is acceptable to do it. i've turned work down before due to the client insisting on the old tiles being tiled over to limit costs, but i know that someone else has come and done it anyway. i also know that there are adhesives that are capable of adhering tile to tile. so, is it ever ok?

D

doug boardley

this seems to come up quite a lot from what i've seen, and while i've never tiled on tile myself, it's wasn't because of any of the reasons that i've since learned here. the question i'd like to ask is; is there any time that it is acceptable to do it. i've turned work down before due to the client insisting on the old tiles being tiled over to limit costs, but i know that someone else has come and done it anyway. i also know that there are adhesives that are capable of adhering tile to tile. so, is it ever ok?
in short Johnny,, no,,, you don't know the history of the substrate, how the tiles were fixed etc. The only way to guarantee your work is by having a blank canvas to work from.

P

paul78

i wouldnt do it personally but im not saying it cant be done....

if you explain all the pro's and cons to it and they still insist then i dont see why not, the end of the day its their home and their money and you can advise the quality adhesives/grout but thet all still want the cheapo stuff. but dont give them any guarantees with the job. also write them an estimate sheet stating you dont advise what they are doing to cover yourself.

if your going for that option BAL nothing else!!

i know other members are getting the guns out to shoot me down, but we cant always force the customers to do it the right way. like i said if they insist and you put it in writing then its possible.

D

doug boardley

i wouldnt do it personally but im not saying it cant be done....

if you explain all the pro's and cons to it and they still insist then i dont see why not, the end of the day its their home and their money and you can advise the quality adhesives/grout but thet all still want the cheapo stuff. but dont give them any guarantees with the job. also write them an estimate sheet stating you dont advise what they are doing to cover yourself.

if your going for that option BAL nothing else!!

i know other members are getting the guns out to shoot me down, but we cant always force the customers to do it the right way. like i said if they insist and you put it in writing then its possible.
totally disagree, your work is your bond, you get a falling tile on a kid's head due to insufficient care of duty on your part then you're liable, end of. never mind the damage to your reputation.

J

johnryan

having read what most people on here have said, i wouldn't risk it now. the reason i used to insist on having all the tiles off before, was so i could get all surfaces prepared properly, and plumb and flat. it never occured to me that the original tiles would fall off or what they were adhered to may not be able to cope with the extra weight. even with work getting tight, i think i'll stick to my normal way of doing things. better be skint for a bit than get a bad name and be skint for good, i suppose.

P

paul78

lots of good valid points to take on board, but iv removed loads of tile on tile jobs from previous tilers and they are stuck solid. if i did do it loads of prep and decent adhesive bal white star etc, and no guarantees with my work.

sure the adhesive manufacturers wouldnt put their name to it if it didnt work.

similar to most not taking their vehicles to the main dealers for services (unless under 3 yrs old) because of the extra cost involved, doesnt mean the local garage will make your car dangerous to drive, parts falling off etc. iv never once took my vehicle to the dealer for a M.O.T.

just my theory..... not saying i'm right.

Reply to Tiling over existing tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling over existing tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.