Discuss tiling over karndean for a first timer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

danny-p

hi all

i have karndean fitted in my kitchen. been down 3 years. i had a leak from dishwasher and the ply under the karndean has blown so i claimed on my insurance and i now have money in hand to replace floor. i had a quote to replace the karndean for £1600 for 16 sq m. this entails removing ply and karndean, re-plying floor and relaying new karndean. i have also been looking at tiles. tiles (600x300) from wickes or b&q are around £300. plus fitting.

i have 2 options. simple. karndean for £1600 or tiling . i want to do the tiling myself for experience and to save money. problems arise after i start looking into the tiling aspect

1. ply and karndean down at moment are only 8mm thick. too thin to tile on???? even though the ply has blown, its still quite flat.

2. kitchen is a knockthrough from a really small kitchen into the back room so now i have a kitchen -diner. but they are 2 types of floor. concrete in one half and floorboards in the other. there is a slope where the concrete finishes and goes into the floorboards. at its worst point at the end of the kitchen its about 3/4" dropout over about 2 metres. i realise i have to build this up to the concrete level. this frightens me as im a novice!!!! lol.

3. all the retrimming of door casings, doors and kickerboards under the units which have led lights in them.

my tool cabinet is only moderate. power tools i have drill, sander and jigsaw.

is it worth paying a pro tiler to do the job. is it beyond a complete novice like myself/

really really appreciate the comments and also any tilers in the merseyside area looking to do it are more than welcome to pm me for a meetup to do the job

dan

I

Ian

Hey up Dan, the ply usually put down for Karndean is 6mm, this is not thick enough for tiling onto, the minimum for tiling to is 15mm. If you have two different substrates (wood and concrete) you will need to have an expansion joint over the join. It does sound like you have quite a job on your hands and a pro tiler might be the way forward but, if you do decide you want to take it on yourself there is a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips on this forum so, ask a 1000 questions if you like, the answers won't be far away!!

Reply to tiling over karndean for a first timer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
tiling over karndean for a first timer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.