Discuss Tiling over large mirror in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PeterSandhurst

New to this forum and first post

25 years ago I tiled my family bathroom. The cement and tiles are still rock hard and having tried (and failed) to remove a few without doing immense damage to the plaster beneath I shall tile over them.

My problem is a mirror.

I have a heavy duty 3 foot by 2 foot mirror inset into the tiles with the same surface level. Assuming I can get the new layout to make use of the mirror I will try to keep it but chances are it will have to be covered.

Question is this :

- I cemented the entire back of the mirror to the wall as I did with all tiles. It is solid as a rock. Can I tile over it directly? If so, does it need scoring as if it were a glazed tile? And finally, what adhesive would I use for tiling onto glass?

Many thanks in advance for your time

Peter from Sandhurst UK

P

PeterSandhurst

My thanks to you both for prompt replies.

If your not superstitious you could smash the mirror out then bring the hole level with a skim of rapid set adhesive

I have no superstitions, but the real problem is that this very thick mirror will hang on for dear life and the resulting mountain of glass shards will be a nightmare to work with and clear not to mention the plaster that it will take with it (if the first 8 tiles are anything to go by.

I will defo try to go over it if I cannot reuse it so if anyone has first hand experience that might build on the useful comments above I would be keen to hear from you.:smilewinkgrin:

J

jwatson

My thanks to you both for prompt replies.

I have no superstitions, but the real problem is that this very thick mirror will hang on for dear life and the resulting mountain of glass shards will be a nightmare to work with and clear not to mention the plaster that it will take with it (if the first 8 tiles are anything to go by.

I will defo try to go over it if I cannot reuse it so if anyone has first hand experience that might build on the useful comments above I would be keen to hear from you.:smilewinkgrin:

The method i have stated will work, just make sure the tiles/mirror are well secured. you need to take into account the weight issues of tiling on top of tiles. it can be done but there will be a higher stress on the wall. in an ideal world the tiles should be stripped off. i know this is a problem for you as they are well stuck. i would advise working out what adisional weight in tiles, adhesive, and grout you will be fixing plus an estimated weight of existing tiles already fixed and use this guide i have aquired to make an informed desision of what next to do.
1. Substrate weight ratings

A common question, how much weight can my wall support, here are the recommended max weight ratings in KG / m2

Plaster Skim on Plaster Board........20KG
Skim and Set Plaster...................28KG
Plaster Board.............................32KG
Sand and Cement.......................40KG
Cement Backer Board..................55KG
Hardibacker Board.......................45KG
Lightweight Tile Backer Board........40KG
Glass Reinforced Cement Sheet.....50KG
Gypsum Fiber Board.....................40KG

Remember to factor in the weight of the tile / m2 AND adhesive and grout

2. (Some adhesives are manufactured as lighter products).
3. Grout weight will also depend on how large the tiles are that you are using and the thickness e.g. a tiled area that uses 300mm tiles will have more grout than an area with 600mm.

Grout.........2KG / m2
Adhesive....4KG / m2

T

tilerjason

The method i have stated will work, just make sure the tiles/mirror are well secured. you need to take into account the weight issues of tiling on top of tiles. it can be done but there will be a higher stress on the wall. in an ideal world the tiles should be stripped off. i know this is a problem for you as they are well stuck. i would advise working out what adisional weight in tiles, adhesive, and grout you will be fixing plus an estimated weight of existing tiles already fixed and use this guide i have aquired to make an informed desision of what next to do.
1. Substrate weight ratings
A common question, how much weight can my wall support, here are the recommended max weight ratings in KG / m2
Plaster Skim on Plaster Board........20KG
Skim and Set Plaster...................28KG
Plaster Board.............................32KG
Sand and Cement.......................40KG
Cement Backer Board..................55KG
Hardibacker Board.......................45KG
Lightweight Tile Backer Board........40KG
Glass Reinforced Cement Sheet.....50KG
Gypsum Fiber Board.....................40KG
Remember to factor in the weight of the tile / m2 AND adhesive and grout

2. (Some adhesives are manufactured as lighter products).
3. Grout weight will also depend on how large the tiles are that you are using and the thickness e.g. a tiled area that uses 300mm tiles will have more grout than an area with 600mm.
Grout.........2KG / m2
Adhesive....4KG / m2
just beat me with this post lol :smilewinkgrin:

J

jwatson

The mirror has a backing that provides the mirror finish and that is all that is holding that in place, IMO you should not tile over it..

The weight of the new tiles will deffo exceed to weight for that substrate.. if you tile over then that is your choice but not one that i can recommend

cheers for that info dave, never tiled ontop of a mirror before and wont now. so simple when you think of the backing finish it has.

P

PeterSandhurst

This afternoon, after reading the 'mirror backing substrate' reply, I ran a test on a piece of 15in square mirror and secured it to a plank using silicon mastic and slung it from the underside of an RJS in my garage. I then secured another board (laminate) to the other face (glazed side) using silicon mastic again and screwed three eyehooks into the laminate. I then hung 46kgs of Pavia blocks from each eyelet in builders buckets giving a total strain of roughly 140kgs on the backing and it is still hanging there now 4 hours later. The messy job didn't cover all the backing so the figures above are understated amd better than shown but you get the idea.

Not sure what that comes to in per square meter calculations but it sure as hell gives me the confidence to tile over the big beasty mirror in the bathroom as the tile weights are a very small fraction of that.

If I do, and it fails, I will be back to share. Otherwise, assume I did OK and thanks to all for their input, much appreciated.

Best

Peter

PS - Selling strong 15" square mirror, slightly used /marked

Reply to Tiling over large mirror in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling over large mirror
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.