Discuss tiling over tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cone

Have a job to do for a cple next week and they are wanting me to tile over existing tiles in kitchen/hall. I've only done this once or twice many years ago became now I insist its best to lift tiles and tile onto the original surface but money is tight for this Cple and they want me to tile over tiles so on looking for advice on best approach.

The floor is screed and tiles already on are a non slip ceramic. I'm going to use technik 918 primer with an addy that's appropriate for tiling over tiles but wondering does anyone scratch the tiles before priming. The new tiles getting laid will be 600x600 but don't know yet if their ceramic or porcelain but will this even matter.

C

cone

Ive done hundreds of tile on tile jobs with a ten year guarantee .and never had a problem .just make sure that the original tiles are solid .give them a good wash with degreasant or a light acid wash.then prime and your good to go

What type of acid mix or detergent? And is there no need to scratch, I'm near sure my old boss had me scratching tiles all them years ago when I did this before.

You haven't said if the tiles are well fixed!
Do you know if it's their property.
If they can't afford to have the job done properly, can they afford to have it done.

John I know what you say but we've all come across these type of Jobs, some people only have a set budget and they'll want to stick to that if it means tiling over existing tiles

I wouldn't tile on tile as you don't know the condition of the screed beneath the tiles. As John says if they can't afford to have it done properly then don't do it as if anything happens your liable.

I'll be explaining to them that if I do tile over tile and the original tiles lift up then it was their call and not mine. I've another job to start Monday week so could do with this to pay some bills.

T

Time's Ran Out

What type of acid mix or detergent? And is there no need to scratch, I'm near sure my old boss had me scratching tiles all them years ago when I did this before.

John I know what you say but we've all come across these type of Jobs, some people only have a set budget and they'll want to stick to that if it means tiling over existing tiles

I'll be explaining to them that if I do tile over tile and the original tiles lift up then it was their call and not mine. I've another job to start Monday week so could do with this to pay some bills.

Cone - I'am not saying don't tile on tiles, I asked if the tiles were well fixed as sometimes seemingly sound tiles can pop up with ease once the pressure has been released.
As for your putting the onus on the customer in the event of a failure - I doubt if any legal decision would go in your favour with that argument.
Its your call, but a quick fix may not be the best way forward.

A

Alan M

i looked at a job today. doing carpentry in an old tile show room. they are turning it into a car parts place. the building is closed for several years
there was about 6" of tiles on the floor if not more
I was working out what I wanted for the stud walls.
I watched as 2 guys with jack hammers and wide blades stripped of layer after layer of tiles.
they could just walk across the room popping of the tiles. .
I don't know if there was something making them easy to remove but I was shocked at how easy they came up.

T

Time's Ran Out

Yes you can tile onto existing tiles
as long as they are sound
once again the "rip it up" brigade are out
customers must have some budgets in these areas
unfortunately for some of us in "the poorer" areas we get asked to do things from time to time that don't allow us to "rip it up" therefore from time to time we may have to tile over tile

In 40+ years I have only tiled on tiles a handful of times and cost was never the issue. Well fixed tiles can provide a good substrate. Clean, with the right primer and adhesive - top job.
But if your suggesting the criteria is a customers budget to remove tiles or not then I'd rather leave the job to you and concentrate on providing a professional service.

D

Dash J

In 40+ years I have only tiled on tiles a handful of times and cost was never the issue. Well fixed tiles can provide a good substrate. Clean, with the right primer and adhesive - top job.
But if your suggesting the criteria is a customers budget to remove tiles or not then I'd rather leave the job to you and concentrate on providing a professional service.

in my 17 years as a tile fixer my professionalism hasn't been called into question

people come on here for help and advice

if I know the answer I will give it if not I will keep quiet

op asked is it ok to tile over tile,and what method

answer is yes providing tiles are sound and proper materials are used

so there is no need to rip it up

i don't think that has anything to do with professionalism

as I say it must be a fantastic life being a tiler in Newcastle " nah I'm not tiling that rip it up"

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling over tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB