UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling painted surfaces in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikethetile

ive noticed quite a few posts on here with the question of how to deal with painted surfaces, so I thought I woulld give a master decorators perspective to this

newly plastered walls are given a chance to dry out before being given a light sanding. this smooths and removes the polish left by the plasteres trowel
the walls are then sealed with a mist coat, this is a trade quality matt emulsion[not vinyl] thinned with up to 40% water

once dry this acts as a seal and a primer for the subsequent coats, two or more thinned coats are applied, the paint can be thinned with up to 20% water

this paint is now properly applied and wont peel , flake etc and you wont strip it, however if you tile it as it is you are relying on the bond of the paint to the wall to support the weight of your addy and tiles

the way to deal with this is to sand it till you can see the plaster surface showing through, you will then be bonding to the sealed plaster not the paint

thats a new buildbut an older property has been redecorated many times and this is where the problems for a tiler start

the correct way to redecorate is to sand the old paint to remove the dirty , greasy surface, thin your paint with up to 20% water and coat with a minimum of 2 coats. how many professional decorators do this let alone diyers, a full coat over the existing dirt and grease leaves a weak bond between the paint layers, this will debond if tiled over

the other problem is that while the new plaster was painted with a matt emulsion to allow the walls to dry and breathe .subsequent coats are likely to be vinyl emulsion [which does come in a matt finish] or specific bathroom paint which has a vinyl base

this paint cannot be tiled over and has to be removed, the most effective way of removing vinyl based emulsion is with a steam stripper, failing that its an unpleasant job with the sander

but it does have to be removed before tiling

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling painted surfaces in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.