Discuss Tiling porcelain tiles over plywood with Hardiebacker and Fastflex in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jlondon

First solo job this week...:smilewinkgrin: It's a small kitchen extension (6m[SUP]2[/SUP]) that the customer wants tiling in 450x450 unglazed porcelain tiles (8mm thick). The subfloor is plywood over wooden joists (1 3/4 x 5 3/4). The current floor over that is chipboard then some green fibre underlay and some cheap and nasty pressed fibre tiles on top.

The subfloor feels a little bit bouncy and creaky, so my plan is 6mm Hardiebacker screwed and glued with BAL Single Part Flexible addy to give a bit more stability to the floor. On top of that then will be BAL Fastflex and then the tiles with a 7mm spacing. Both addy layers will use a 10mm round-notch spreader. The total floor height currently is about 25mm, I should end up about the same (two addy layers ending up at about 6mm each, 6mm of Hardiebacker and 8mm of tile). Does this make sense? Or should I use Fastflex for both layers for a few quid more?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling porcelain tiles over plywood with Hardiebacker and Fastflex in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB