Discuss Tiling problem - help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LS100

Hi everyone, I've just discovered this site and wanted some advice.

My boyfriend tiled my bathroom at the weekend, he is a plumber and has put the sink/loo/and bath in perfectly. We were going to get someone in to do the tiles, and the guy my friend recommended is booked up for the next few months so the boyf said he'd do it as he helped his friend when they both tiled his mums place.

I went out for the day - the day after once he had grouted i noticed a couple of tiles have some bad 'lippage' (only just learned that is what the technical term is. The tiles are so big - his mum had loads spare from her bathroom so we only needed to buy 1 box. they are from Porcelanosa very big - i think about maybe 300 x 600mm or maybe a bit less? they are off white and matt. i wondered if there was any way of taking out 2 of the tiles and putting new ones in where there is lippage as we have some left over. Feel gutted about this and i wish we had waited to get a tiler in, ive waited 4 years to sort my bathroom out so any advice apart from ripping the whole lot down would be appreciated. otherwise i'll have to keep the shower curtain across to hide it! many thanks.

O

One Day

I fix for (recommended by) Porcelanosa. The tiles are pretty much perfect so you have no excuses for a bad job!

It's possible that underneath the tiles lurks the reason for the lippage, i.e. uneven walls, particularly around windows.

The only way to get the tiles off and check this, is to smash them carefully, after raking out the grout around them.

Be extra careful as some Porcelanosa glazes are VERY brittle and you can easily chip the surrounding tiles.

BTW - 600x300 is small for Porcelanosa these days. Now they are producing over 1000mm in a lot of the ceramics.

L

LS100

Thanks Impish, I think you are right regarding the uneven wall i think it was uneven around the area the particular tiles have the lippage. Yes also i have noticed a couple of minuet chips on a couple of edges too - god the more I think about this I feel upset but I really don't think I can rip it all down.. I think i need an expert to come and look - are there any good recommendations on here for tilers in Dartford area, who have experience in taking out tiles and replacing. I'm not familiar with this site yet so not sure where to post this too!

Many thanks for your help

Oh P.S i may have the sizes wrong for the tiles i'll have to get home and measure them I may even take a pic to see what everyone thinks?

D

Daz

All good advice above. I would be concerned, though, if it is only one corner that is lipping. This implies that there is a "hump" in the substrate under the tile and if the tile and said "hump" are removed you will find that the annoying corner sits flush but there will be lippage with other aspects of the tile in relation to the existing field tiles.

Sorry to be so negative but this may not be as straight forward as removing one tile :thumbsdown:.

Daz

L

LS100

HI Daz,

Thanks , I understand what your saying and that may be the case as when I flagged up the lippage on a particular tile my boyfriend said it was really difficult to get it straight as whatever he did one part was always a bit off so maybe this is because a hump is behind? Hmm think i'll have to get an expert to look and diagnose and either live with it or get it sorted. Just scared i'll open a can of worms!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling problem - help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling problem - help!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.