Discuss Tiling Problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gavin Robinson

Hi

I am encountering a problem with laying out 600 by 600 mm ceramic floor tiles in an open plan room which has a fireplace / opening for a wood / solid fuel stove jutting out from the wall by 300mm. Since the fireplace is one of the first focal points to be seen on entering the room I have balanced the tiles round it so they are symetrical. When I dry lay the rest of the tiles into the bay window I am left with a strip which is 90mm which is obviously much less then the half a tile width rule for tiling. If I adjust the layout to have approximately half a tile left in the bay then the tiles round the fireplace become unsymetrical.I can't have both things so is it just a case of what looks the best in this particular instance?

Regards
Gavin

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
whats the set out like if you diamond set the tiles ? it may work out better and take your eye off unbalanced room

I'm with Gary on this one, I'd personally go for diamond. If you didn't want to do this then I'd go with your plan of setting out from the fireplace which as you say is a focal point. As already stated above when sofas, tv's, units etc are put in the room then a lot of the edges are hidden. Let us know what you decide on

G

Gavin Robinson

Hi Gary

Had thought of tiling on the diagonal but in this large area it looks busy - when the tiles are laid out standard pattern the lines look cleaner and make the floor look more fashionable or less patterned?

Hi Bolter
Did a bit of slight modification with your suggestion , as shown in the second of the two diagrams as per picture attached, and managed to get the tiles centred on the fireplace with 400mm at the bay and thought HORRAY !!!! but when I took the measurements to the door I have a tile width of 80mm @door saddle and 30mm at the skirting board - which I can't cover unless I move 80mm towards the door ( as I have enough to play with at the bay) but this knocks the symmetry at the fireplace out by 80mm- darn. tiling problem.jpg Maybe I'm being too fussy?

G

Gavin Robinson

Hi charlie1
You are earlier than I am this morning.The tile is a creamy, mottled marble type with cream grout with grouting gaps of 2mm- the minimum I can use -I think-so yes I am now convinced that the 90mm @ bay option would be the best of my available options since laying diamond fashion was ruled out as an option from the start of the job. Had a look at your 42 pictures - hope I can do as neat and professional looking a job as you obviously can.

Thanks
Thanks to all of you - you are a very helpful bunch making constructive suggestions which help others, like me, who are not in the same professional league.
Gavin

B

Bolter

90mm at the bay window would look best.

Hi Charlie1
Not sure if the tiles are what you guys called rectified in calibration terms ( they are from Porclenanosa) but they look to be pretty good quality and accurate as I have measured quite a few of them and on dry laying with the 2mm grout gap they look as if they can be keep in line! Will be making a start on them later on so will soon find out.

Gavin

Porcelanosa, for me, stock some of the highest quality in tiles. And by that i mean every tile normally is the same size and shade as the last, which is not the case for an awful lot of tile manufacturers. Good choice.

Top tips for tiling the floor. Make sure the substrate is really flat. If its nearly flat, but not quite, you will end up with problems. Use a long straight edge to check for humps and dips in the floor. If there is, come back and ask, and we can explain latexing :)

Centre the room at one end, make mark on floor. Centre the room at the other end, mark on floor. Ping a chalk line, or run a laser line between these two lines to centre the room properly.

Use a notched trowel. If the floor is super flat, an 8mm trowel will probably be fine, but could use a 10mm if you wanted. Just do a few spot checks, lay a tile, then lever it up again, and check the coverage of adhesive is good.

Comb the adhesive in one direction

When laying the second row, put the tile in so it butts up to the previous row, and push down and pull it away from you, and pop the spacer/s in. Next tile along, you can butt it up to the previous row AND the tile you just laid, and pull it away from those tiles diagonally 2mm and pop a spacer in there. Easier and cleaner to do this than to push the tile into position ;)

Use a straight edge to line the tiles up when you are laying. Just lay a few tiles in a row, and for each extra row butt the straight edge up and use it as a guide to make sure all straight.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling Problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.