Discuss Tiling problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

craig2562

Hi there,

hoping somebody can help.

I have a problem with a kitchen floor that I am trying to replace.

When we bought the house the kitchen floor was covered in laminated flooring which we took up as it had started to buckle due to a leak.

When we removed the laminate and underlay we found red quarry style tiles that were in a bad state with the majority of them cracked and loose.

Having removed them and the adhesive recently we have found a black/brownish flooring. Having tested a small area with a few tiles I found that the adhesive did not appear to set, even after a couple of weeks. When the tiles were lifted the adhesive was still wet!

I'm not sure what to do now, is it better for me to cover the floor with ply and then tile straight over the top with a flexible adhesive?

Craig

C

craig2562

Everdon - There is no damp coming through and I think the floor is a remnant from a subsidence repair some years ago as the other houses in the group of four that we live in had parquet flooring throughout the ground floor. From my understanding, the red quarry tiles were laid just after the repair.

Jay - The adhesive on the new tiles did not set, and looking at the old tiles it would appear that the adhesive had failed previously. Having removed everything I'm left with a floor that looks like some kind of biyumen but I'm no expert. P1050285.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.