UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling qualifications for domestic work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tiler burden

hi

thought this might interest a few people.

i was speaking to a guy at liverpool community college who claims that there will be a bit of a shake up on the domestic scene. as most of you are aware, you need a cscs card for site work which now shows you job skill ie nvq plasterer, tiler etc. well he was saying silmilar cards are in the pipeline to be introduced for the private market to protect the customer. so it might be worth doing a osat now and get photo evidence of your work to gain an nvq2.

i do renovation work and i am a plasterer so i might have to do an nvq in tiling and one in basic carpentry to be able to trade effectively over the next couple of years. this could be the begining of the end of the general builder?? a throw back to the union days where only a skilled man in a particular field could carry out a particular job...might be a goood thing, only time will tell. i do have an certificate from north east tiling which is an nvq equivalent but i am not sure this will be enough to satisfy citb. maybe it will, its all abit up in the air at the moment.

one final thing. tiling was a unit in the old plastering city and guilds award. do you think that would allow me to tile on site??

tiller

T

tiler burden

i think this thread has got a bit mis lead

i am tlaking about the relevent qualifications you will need in the future to trade, not cis cards

i have been told that you will need a nvq2 to gain a cscs card....i then found out that the government are thinking of introducing a similar system for the domestic scene. in other words, if you dont have a nvq2 then, you might find it difficult to trade in the future. even if you have been tiling for 30 years and you and the dogs ballards, it still means you will have to be assesed and gain an nvq2 to be able to meet the bureaucrats requirements.....

i know what your thinking, its what you can do that matters and your recommendations not a piece of paper with nvq on it but, if this is the way we are going and it is, then we better be prepared or we will wake up one morning and find out we have been left behind!!

C

Concept PHT

There is a lot of confusion about all this - best thing to do is get the qualification. If nothing, it will satisfy the customer that you are a bona fide tiler and not a 4 day bodgit & scarper.

For experienced tilers, there is the Experienced Worker route, where somebody will come along and assess your work on site. Takes 2-3 days. Job Done.

Unfortunately, its all going towards qualifications these days. No way around it......

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
There are a few setting up now offering on-site training and even a few getting their own accredited course certificate via whoever and whatever. We just need the government-side of things to do their bit to approve them all, as to be quite honest, what they offer now is far better than the college route. In my opinion.

A big-up to those who have started the ball rolling with real grades passed by small centres!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling qualifications for domestic work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hello to everybody, how's it going? I'm new here just signed up and wanted to know what...
Replies
Views
Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm sorry its another bad job or not thread. We've been having our downstairs toilet...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.