UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling schools in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I think any training is a good thing, everyone should always try to better themselves. There is too much of a culture of I was properly trained when I was young or I did a full apprenticeship. so no course will teach you that. While I do agree that these short courses that have popped up all over the place these days are not exactly what the trades need, for some it's all that is available. It also does depend on the individual, trying to get some time with a tiler is for the most part like doing the proverbial in the wind. Find a course that suits your pocket, your needs, and give it a go. But like the other comment don't expect to earn a fortune overnight. Your short course is only a very basic introduction, your actual training never stops until you retire. Rant over.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I agree Gamma, about the lack of apprenticeships, and have said many times on this fine forum, what makes a good tiler is not how long we have been in the trade, or how we came to it, but the passion and attention to detail/mind set to create a masterpiece on every project, is the mark of a good tiler. I do however take exception to anyone who makes light of time served tradesmen who spent five years on poor wages to learn a trade.

I know time served guys who I would not trust to mix grout for me, then again there are master craftsmen on this site that I would bow down to. I don't know how this trade will survive, I just hope it does.:incazzato:

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Cheers Phil well said,I didn't mean to make light of any time served tradesmen. I don't think it's just this trade we need to worry about, it's all trades. We need apprenticeships yesterday, have for years. You won't ever replace an apprenticeship with any short courses but I stand by what I say that there is a place for them for some people and budgets.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling schools in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.