Discuss tiling shower wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

diferentshades

Hi, thought I'd start a new post as I'm not getting any replies on my old post, and I really need some advice.

I'm doing the shower at the moment, it's in the corner with one side being plasterboard and skim, the other bricks with render and skim and I've made a stud wall to make a third side so it's a 3 walled shower. I battened out the brick wall and put mr plasterboard on all 3 walls. I'm mot sure what to go for next! Bal tanking, homelux matting, kerdi membrane or boar, hardiebacker, no more ply! Any advice guys?
I have a raised resin shower tray, if using a board, do I go down to floor level or stop at tray? Any advice please?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Oh and tank down to shower tray, and use the tanking membrane to tank actually onto the shower tray by about 10mm.

Then tile down to shower tray.

That then means any water that gets behind the tiles, eventually falls into tray. A really thin near silicone bead around the edge will just be for cosmetics and ease of cleaning then.

D

DHTiling

Q

Qwerty

Dave & Stef are right..... Aquadefence is a fantastic product.

The kit from screwfix you mention is Mapei Mapegum. This is very similar to aquadefence but requires a few layers and is not as rapid setting. Daves offer is very good.

The mapei kit ...... http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484 ..... will cover the 5metres you require even though they say 4metres. Use a 4" roller and a large roller tray and you will be fine ;)

D

diferentshades

image.jpg
This is what I'm working on, I have removed the studs that are against the plaster wall, was going to use a 700 tray, but went for an 800

D

diferentshades

Cheers Dan.

one more question :)
dou know the kind of weight this tanking system can hold regarding tiles?
i have not chosen any yet, just want to know my options. If weight was an issue, could you screw 6 mm hardiebacker over the tanking over the plasterboard and into studs, would this increase holding capacity in your opinion?

off to the shops in a bit and want to go fully armed!

D

diferentshades

Sorry for all the questions guys.
i'm a carpenter by trade and I'm pretty good, but when it comes to doing things in my house, I'm always indecisive! Knowing the cost of things and knowing that I work hard for a living, I always tend to over engineer things.

by the way, I asked advice on the forum when I did the floor and promised some pics so here goes

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 175

Reply to tiling shower wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB