UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling straight onto floor grade chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone,
I'm about to attempt my first DIY tiling job shortly, and would appreciate some advice.
There is a narrow strip of tiled flooring in front of a run of kitchen units, approximately 66cm wide x 4 metres long that I want to replace, as a couple of tiles were damaged by a heavy item accidentally falling on to the floor, and not having any spares to replace with. The rest of the floor up to these tiles is laminate. Would it be ok to tile directly onto the chipboard floor using an appropriate flexible adhesive because it's only a small area? I know it's recommended to board over with plywood normally, but this would raise the level too high overall on the tiled part, and would create problems with the difference in height with the other flooring. The existing tiles had been fixed straight onto the floor by the previous owner, and we have been in the house for nearly ten years.
Also, what size of tile would you recommend for this narrow strip?

T

Time's Ran Out

Hi - you know what is recommended so any advice that is given to the contrary would be incorrect from a professional tilers perspective.
There are cement based flexible adhesives that will adhere to chipboard but any moisture penetration into the base material will expand/distort and consequently debond the tiles. I can understand your issues with reference to height variations, however without pictures an overall view of the problem is not entirely clear. You may find a longer lasting solution in overboarding with thin plywood and using a vinyl tile.

R

Rich

As above, as a professional I would never recommend tiling directly onto chipboard. However I can see that it would be a pain to over board this area. Is there any chance of either over boarding with a 6mm cement board or laying a 3mm decoupling membrane, then tiling. This would bring the floor height up slightly but you may be able to install a wooden/metal strip to hide the difference in height?

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the advice.

I may have to rethink on the tiling altogether, as to do it as advised would bring the level up too much and be too noticeable. It would look a bit odd too as it's a fairly long length right in front of the units. I would have done it that way if I was tiling a full room and the difference was hidden under a door threshold, but unfortunately it's an open plan area with laminate flooring running from lounge to dining area, and carries on up to the tiling in the kitchen area separated by a metal floor strip.

Looks like it's going to have to be vinyl tiles or lino!

S

sharpfamily

I've tiled directly onto chipboard and had no problems.
There's a long thread (now unfortunately closed) that you might find interesting.

• [h=6]tiling over floor grade chipboard[/h] By sharpfamily in forum Tile Adhesive, Grout and Substrate Preparation

Replies: 126 Last Post: 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM

- if you do use vinyl/lino, you may then have a step up to the existing laminate.
    - stripping off the old tiles is going to be the most laborious job as my guess is they will be well stuck down.
    - if you do use vinyl you'll have get a really smooth clean finish to the chip board....otherwise it'll show through the thin vinyl
    - if the chipboard is sound, i'd suggest go ahead with replacing the tiles with tiles.....it'll look much better and I don't think you'll be taking much risk.
    - as regards size of tiles, go for a width that minimises the amount of cutting. 300*600 laid in brickwork pattern plus narrow 60mm boarder strip may look good and be easy to do.
    - I've used BAL single part flexible directly onto water resistant 18mm chipboard without any problems. BAL single part fastflex is bit more expensive and messier to use, but it's probably be more robust and may be a safer choice.
    - I used BAL flexible waterproof microflex grout.
    - Follow the instructions for mixing the adhesive and grout, and make sure that you get good even bed.

good luck.

-

G

Gall.B

Id Go with Rich's advice of fotting a 3mm decoupler if you go ahead with Tiling but my not be cost effective versus lino etc.

Dont agree with Tiling directly on to chipboard and dont know any Pro's that do.

There are some good trasition strips or threshold bars out there these days that do a very god job of minimalising small diffrences in height.

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I would never tile directly onto a chipboard floor for the reasons mentioned above and many more besides.

However, trying to think of solutions from what you describe:

Have you considered continuing the laminate all the way through? Providing the tiles you are lifting don't pull half the chipboard with it and you can match the pattern of the laminate close enough.
If not that (and this one is the more labour intensive) as long as the laminate is still a flooting floor. Lift the exsisting laminate carefully and increase the height of the underlay, then re-lay laminate. This could mean having to remove the skirting however depending on how your laminate has been fitted. :-(

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling straight onto floor grade chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Been out of the tiling game for some years and just about to tile kitchen and hall in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.