UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling the en suite, travertine onto tanked walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

monkey3

Hi all,

I've been looking all over the site and I think I have a plan...

So, I've fitted the shower tray, taped all the joints and tanked the lot as per the guidlines using the Mapei tanking kit. And it's been left to fully cure for about 3 days.

The tiles are travertine 610 x 405 x 12mm and weigh about 6.4kg each.

I intend to fix them with a full bed of mapei keraquick using a 6mm notched trowel.

I'll measure down from the ceiling so that I get a datum line at the bottom of the last full tile (cuts at the bottom, full tiles all the way to the ceiling) and I'll fix a batten all the way round. I'll then tile up from there, remove the batten, re-tank the batten holes, do the floor (that's another story) and then fix the last row at the bottom.

How does that sound?

Thanks for any advice,

Russell.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
As Above, I wouldn't finish with a full tile to the ceiling incase it runs out. Much better to lift or lower the batten so you cut into the ceiling too, taking into account cuts above or below windows or any other features, try to avoid any slithers. Personally I'd use a slightly bigger trowel too and don't forget to back skim each tile. Some pics when it's done would be great too:thumbsup:

M

monkey3

Ok, great advice already.

The ceiling and wall should be quite level as I've built it all from scratch using aquaboard and ceiling has been freshly plastered. However I hadn't necessarily considered all the features in the room (recessed shelf in the shower area, window and shower control) so I think I need a bit more experimentation with the laying out.

So 8 - 10mm square notched trowel would be better, that I can do.

With regards to back skimming, that's really good advice. I take it the idea is just to fill in the holes in the back of the tile rather than add a thick layer to it.

As far as substrate for the tile goes, they are solid stone (well, filled and honed but solid for the most part). Unless you were asking what are they being fitted to under the tanking, in which case that's aquaboard.

Also, I'm working on it being unnecessary to add latex additive.

Aligage,
When you ask about setting out from a horizontal centre line, what do mean?
Being rectangular I'm going for the joins to be staggered rather than in line.

I have start to finish pictures of the whole thing so I will definitely post them once I'm done.

Thanks again,

Russell.

M

monkey3

Posting this again as I think it got lost in the moderator approval process...

Ok, great advice already.

The ceiling and wall should be quite level as I've built it all from scratch using aquaboard and ceiling has been freshly plastered. However I hadn't necessarily considered all the features in the room (recessed shelf in the shower area, window and shower control) so I think I need a bit more experimentation with the laying out.

So 8 - 10mm square notched trowel would be better, that I can do.

With regards to back skimming, that's really good advice. I take it the idea is just to fill in the holes in the back of the tile rather than add a thick layer to it.

As far as substrate for the tile goes, they are solid stone (well, filled and honed but solid for the most part). Unless you were asking what are they being fitted to under the tanking, in which case that's aquaboard.

Also, I'm working on it being unnecessary to add latex additive.

Aligage,
When you ask about setting out from a horizontal centre line, what do mean?
Being rectangular I'm going for the joins to be staggered rather than in line.

I have start to finish pictures of the whole thing so I will definitely post them once I'm done.

Thanks again,

Russell.

Read more: http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-...ite-travertine-onto-tanked.html#ixzz2AiE1PsLE

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling the en suite, travertine onto tanked walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views
Paramount wall fix for tiling ideas? the plan is (or was) to tile floor to ceiling with 200mm x...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views
Hi all again. I'm trying to prep my concrete floor for porcelain tiles. It's just a small 1.5m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.