Discuss Tiling the kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jackal

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm looking for abit of advice really.
We have moved into the house and ripped the kitchen out... its 12sqm and its just a square room. We have swayed against laminate flooring and want tiles.(its swayed all over the place) thing that was putting us off it we would have to rip the floor boards up and put Board down to tile on... The floor boards thats are on the floor an't thats bad... Reason we feel we have to take the floor boards up is that we dont want a leval change going into the kitchen!

I've done abit of research on tiling on wooden floors....We have found if we use a primer on the wood and a flexible adhesive and flexi grout then we could tile ontop of the very sturdy floorboards. We found a test on here to see if the floor boards are sturdy enough a glass of water full up to the brim and try jumping on the floor to spill it... 2 of us could'nt manage to spill it!!!!

So the plan is to clean the floor boards... plain the high points back so its more a less level... Prime it and then set my tiles up... and start tiling.

Will this be ok... I'm i heading down the right track? any advice it more than welcome.

with thanks

Jack

A

Alberta Stone

I am assuming these are planks that are laid on the floor joists?

It is recommended to have 2 layers of wood minimum thickness of 1 and 1/8th inch.
If that raises the height more than you wish, then you ought to consider a laminate that looks like tile that has glued together joints for water-proofing.
You really can't skimp on the subfloor as there is deflection you cannot see with your waterglass test.
That will end badly with cracked groutlines and cracked tiles eventually.

A thing I have done many times is use a transition course with a bit of the subfloor removed where it joins to the other area or doorways, feathered with flexible thinset and then set the tiles on a gentle slope to make a nice transition.
It is common to run into this problem when putting stone into a bathroom with underfloor heating cables and this is a good and appealing solution.

Reply to Tiling the kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling the kitchen floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.