Discuss Tiling the underside of boxing over a shower bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rusti

Hi,
I need to tile the underside and side of some boxing on the ceiling but whereas on the walls I've been able to fix batons and set the tile positions with spacers and wedges, there is no support on the boxing to set them against. I am thinking I could screw wood in place on the bottom of the box to support the side ones, but I can't think of a good way to support the bottom ones properly. Has anyone any experience of this sort of thing?
Thanks

R

Rusti

Thanks guys. I might try and set up a couple of supports with a bit of old skirting board or similar and wedge it in place. The boxing is made of mdf with plaster over it, then paint. I have scratched the surface with a stanley knife to get a key and then used a primer.

By the way topps recommend using a waterproof sheet under the tiles around baths & showers but when I have knocked old tiles off for a restart i have never come across an old one of these sheets and the tiles have still been stuck fast. Are these sheets necessary or just a marketing ploy? They are so expensive.

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Cheers

F

faithhealer

What topps are trying to sell you is a tanking membrane which we would recommend for a shower wall but not necessary around a bath. You can also buy, 'paint on' tanking systems which are easier for the diyer. Search 'tanking', on this forum. No marketing ploy, they do the job, they are loads of stories on here about ruined bathrooms because they didn't tank
Re your boxing, plaster on mdf doesn't sound a good combination, think I would be screwing a backerboard such as Hardiebacker on no more ply to it first

P

Perry

where is the boxing in the shower ? mdf with plaster over it, then paint. I have scratched the surface with a Stanley knife to get a key and then used a primer. i hope its not mdf but plaster board if it is timber screw a piece of plasterboard to it and how big are the tile cuts that are being stuck to it what adhesive are you using because the adhesive i would use would hold a 600 x 600 porcelain up with no support

R

Rusti

My mistake, it is plasterboard. I've screwed a board underneath and tiled the side today, will attempt the bottom tomorrow. I think I will mix my adhesive a bit stiffer and let it go off slightly before sticking it. I think my adhesive has been a bit runny so far as the stiffer mix I used today seemed to work well and the tiles sat in it ok without sliding around too much. I'm using Topps rapid-set trade adhesive.
The tiles are 25 by 50cm.

As for the tanking issue, it is a shower bath. I haven't actually tanked it so fingers crossed it will be ok.

Reply to Tiling the underside of boxing over a shower bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm doing a second floor condo kitchen, 6' by 9' of tile area. The surface is gypsumite...
Replies
Views
W
I will be doing full bathroom renovation, and the plan is to build a walk in shower due to the...
Replies
Views
Paul Bleasdale
P
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling the underside of boxing over a shower bath
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.