UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling With Resin/meshed Backed Tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Some info you pro tilers might find useful...

TTA urges extra care on tiling with mesh-backed products

In view of the increasing use of ceramic and stone mesh-backed tiles and slabs in the UK, The Tile Association urges extra care with the specification and installation of such products.

These products tend to have a mesh adhered to the back of the ceramic or natural stone with resin or glue. This means that when the tile or slab is installed, the adhesive used to fix the tile has to adhere to the backing mesh of the tile or slab.

Dependent upon service conditions, the type of backing may have a significant impact upon performance. For instance, adhesion bond strengths may be reduced in external or wet duty applications, or in areas where thermal movement is a consideration. It is also important to note that the coefficient of thermal expansion of the mesh back and its resin/glue may be higher than the tile or natural stone tile/ slab to which it is attached.

Currently there are no standards for mesh backed tiles and slabs, and frequently these products are supplied with no information on the composition of the mesh resin/glue, the appropriate type of adhesive that should be used when they are installed and even their suitability in certain locations.

Apart from reference to BS 5385, The British Standard Code of Practice for fixing wall and floor tiles and BS8000-11, the Code of Practice for Workmanship on Site regarding mesh-backed products, the TTA advises that as a guideline, if the mesh and glue cover more than 25% of the back of the product, they could interfere with adhesion between the product and the mortar or adhesive bed unless the glue and the mortar or adhesive are compatible.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Dave, So what would your take be on removing as much of the mesh as possible, and using a resin adhesive?
Just curious.

Bal mentioned that to me , but the Mesh is there to strengthen a thin tile , so if you removed it and used said tile on say a heated screed , are you causing an issue with tile fissures fracturing/opening ..

Also would a customer pay you to stand and remove said backing ? .. I very much doubt it lol lol..

You would also need to expose 75% of the tiles surface/back without reducing the tiles thickness to a standard that would alter its ability to serve purpose.

Q

Qwerty

Kerakoll announced its launch on Twitter today!

IMG_20170526_000707.jpg
IMG_20170526_000709.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling With Resin/meshed Backed Tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.