Discuss Tiling wooden bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Michaeli

Hi all

Im new to tiling (this is my 1st go at it) and im doing my bathroom floor and walls.

Now my floor is a solid chipboard floor (about 15mm thick)

So my first question is what is the best way to tile this type of floor.

At the moment we have bathroom grade lamate floor down which is about 6-8mm thick. now this joins nicely with the carpet in the hallway. So i dont want to have to put 18mm wsb ply down then all the tiles etc as it would put my bathroom floor about 20mm bigger than my hallway.

Is there a super flexable addesive that i can use straight on to chipboard flooring?

Hopfuly you guys can help

Many thanks
Michael

Somerset
I am with Kilty here - I would use Hatdibacker 250 (6mm waterproof tile backer board). However - your floor must be properly screwed down (jump at one side - do you see movement on the other?). The Hardibacker needs screws at 200mm spaces - about 50 screws per board. When you have finished tiling, use an excellent trim sold by Topps Tiles (first time I have ever recommended them!!) which is very easy to fit, leaves no screws showing, and will seemlessly transit the different levels between carpet and tiles. Thius trim is hammered with a rubber mallet after fitting to get a perfect seal carpet-tile - used it several times now - loved it!

Well thats enough plugs for now.

M

Michaeli

Thanks guys

So 6mm backer board is the way to go then, Now for the addesive and grout, Can any recomend a brand/type to use on the backer boad.

My floor is only 1500 x 1170mm (approx 20No 330 x 330mm tiles) so i dont need loads of addesive etc

Also were would be the best place to buy the Hatdibacker 250 and assesives etc, im based in nottingham.

Many thanks Michael

M

Michaeli

When you have finished tiling, use an excellent trim sold by Topps Tiles (first time I have ever recommended them!!) which is very easy to fit, leaves no screws showing, and will seemlessly transit the different levels between carpet and tiles. Thius trim is hammered with a rubber mallet after fitting to get a perfect seal carpet-tile - used it several times now - loved it!

Well thats enough plugs for now.

Andy, do you have a link or part number for this trim so i can look it up

many thanks
Michael

I

Ian

Don't use it for tiling with though..............why not?

Don't know really! Is my honest answer! I use the butech one flex addy from Porcelanosa, but it's slow set and if I need to do a floor in a day obviously the backers need to set quick. That's it really, don't like using rapidest unless it's necessary, limestone etc

Edit. Sorry just read that again, wasn't advising not to use it for tiling with, just that I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling wooden bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, my name is David, nice to meet you all. I would like to ask you all your...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB