UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss time it takes for plaster skim to cure before tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

hi little

just read the depth of which you are patching...

right, heres some advice you should take note of.......
if you are putting on 15mm of bonding/hardwall, then because its designed to be applied by the book at 11mm and you are putting on 15mm
i would do a scratch coat of around 8mm, allow it to pick up (firm up and change to a darker colour approx 1 to 1 and a half hours and then put the 2nd 7mm coat on, then leave it to set a bit longer than normal (around 4-5 hours and then skim..

if you put too much on in one hit, it will shrink and crack!! so build up the layers and control the drying/setting/suction time...

any probs just fire away with the questions :thumbsup:
ed

S

shogun rua

hi little

just read the depth of which you are patching...

right, heres some advice you should take note of.......
if you are putting on 15mm of bonding/hardwall, then because its designed to be applied by the book at 11mm and you are putting on 15mm
i would do a scratch coat of around 8mm, allow it to pick up (firm up and change to a darker colour approx 1 to 1 and a half hours and then put the 2nd 7mm coat on, then leave it to set a bit longer than normal (around 4-5 hours and then skim..

if you put too much on in one hit, it will shrink and crack!! so build up the layers and control the drying/setting/suction time...

any probs just fire away with the questions :thumbsup:
ed

Very true but use hardwall rather than bonding dry alot quicker :thumbsup:

A

Aston

Very true but use hardwall rather than bonding dry alot quicker :thumbsup:

i get your point but the background denotes whether to use bonding or hardwall not the drying time because over 2 weeks it really wont come into play..

hardwall for high suction backgrounds
bonding for low suction backgrounds......
both are around the same setting time. the substrate will determine what speeds up the suction which in turn speeds up the setting time so its important to get the right product for the right surface!!

if i were you little, just apply some water to the wall with a brush, if it soaks in immediately or to hear a sucking noise then go for the hardwall, if the water just runs down the wall and the wall is not very porous , then go for the bonding. that will solve it for you :thumbsup:
ed

ed

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to time it takes for plaster skim to cure before tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.