Discuss Tips on cleaning grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Handyeire

In all the years ive been working not once have i done a job to clean grout lines on floor tiles but as they aul saying goes, theres a first for everything. TBH, i was offered them jobs before but with the amount of work i had on, i just never touched it and stuck to what i know best. Now that things are really slow, theres 2 customers needing grout cleaned so i guess ill have to start sometime doing this work. One thing about it thou, she phoned 3 other tilers before me and all 3 didnt get back to her so i guess they arent interested in this kind of work.

Ive a fair idea how to do it but just thought id post here to see if theres any tips that would leave a better job and whats bst to use. Both grout lines are cream and are stained with foot traffic, previous tilers didnt seal grout lines so i guess that stain was always going to happen sooner rather than later.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Hi, these are great opportunities to infill work, plus keep a tie with your client for further tiling.

Most important thing is what tile surrounds the grout, you are never just cleaning the grout you are restoring/ cleaning the whole floor area. Secondly test- and test again.

Never tell/ promise the client you will get the grout perfectly clean as if cementisiouse they don't all come fully back, you will always get them to best you can, specially if not been sealed previously .you could get into re colouring if they don't clean back ltp do great product for this I'm sure as do others .or re grout if req- nightmare but extra work

In brief.

If these are natural stone tiles, key is to test your products- (as rich )I use wexa for deep clean or power clean if lighter contamination. If there is surface finishes you will be stripping- depending if you want to get into this this far.

Key for me then on naturals is drying times- I run off 5-7 days before impregnating, then you can re- impreg. These are my personal dry times ( I can here a few laughs on this lol)

Porcalain; I use / test lithofin intensive cleaner, this tackles most deep staining ( tile and grout) I leave the floors 1-2 days or until grout is fully dry then use a grout protector or if tiles will take a impreg use protective impregnator over whole floor.

Ceramics; you can use/ test wexa from us- ceramic clean also for salt / water marks, dry grout ( for me 2 days to release all moisture )and use a grout protector after.

Hope the brief bit will help ( is a lot more involved than just above) to start you can mail me each project with pics or on here and we can put a plan together for each stage, no prob
Will always need to know tile to help.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
There a few, restoration courses from others around the country,( depending on what products you use), ranging from full use of machines and purley discusion .We have a day course in Alresford with me, which is more a lithofin discussion / run through and demo day, do 4-5 a year , but can put extra ones on , i can cover , tiling install ( as from a cleaning ,protecting/ sealing or problem solving view) , restoration , clean backs and reseals ,I don't have floors down ( yet) so I can't demo machines. I love doing these, as I get as much back from people who attend, If you guys wanted a 2-3 day courses they are out there from others, Prices will vary for those
If anyone could ever get a few people together ,say at a cdt or one of our other outlets , we could perhaps put something on ,more local to have a morning/ afternoon runthrough, so people didn't have to travel to me.
Contact for my day , on the web

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
Hi, these are great opportunities to infill work, plus keep a tie with your client for further tiling.

Most important thing is what tile surrounds the grout, you are never just cleaning the grout you are restoring/ cleaning the whole floor area. Secondly test- and test again.

Never tell/ promise the client you will get the grout perfectly clean as if cementisiouse they don't all come fully back, you will always get them to best you can, specially if not been sealed previously .you could get into re colouring if they don't clean back ltp do great product for this I'm sure as do others .or re grout if req- nightmare but extra work

In brief.

If these are natural stone tiles, key is to test your products- (as rich )I use wexa for deep clean or power clean if lighter contamination. If there is surface finishes you will be stripping- depending if you want to get into this this far.

Key for me then on naturals is drying times- I run off 5-7 days before impregnating, then you can re- impreg. These are my personal dry times ( I can here a few laughs on this lol)

Porcalain; I use / test lithofin intensive cleaner, this tackles most deep staining ( tile and grout) I leave the floors 1-2 days or until grout is fully dry then use a grout protector or if tiles will take a impreg use protective impregnator over whole floor.

Ceramics; you can use/ test wexa from us- ceramic clean also for salt / water marks, dry grout ( for me 2 days to release all moisture )and use a grout protector after.

Hope the brief bit will help ( is a lot more involved than just above) to start you can mail me each project with pics or on here and we can put a plan together for each stage, no prob
Will always need to know tile to help.

Whoa!!!!!! Did I just see @Lithofin BOB suggest using LTP?
Sorry to hijack @Handyeire but what will remove a couple of small patches of mildew from the marble tiles in my wet room floor?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Alresford, lol just round the corner...... 6hrs.:( Wonder if the lads at CTD Newcastle could do something. I'll speak with them when I'm next in..

No worries , if we can sort something and get a few people together , would love to come up and do this. Let me know what they say and I can let our guy Morris help organise this

O

Old Mod

There a few, restoration courses from others around the country,( depending on what products you use), ranging from full use of machines and purley discusion .We have a day course in Alresford with me, which is more a lithofin discussion / run through and demo day, do 4-5 a year , but can put extra ones on , i can cover , tiling install ( as from a cleaning ,protecting/ sealing or problem solving view) , restoration , clean backs and reseals ,I don't have floors down ( yet) so I can't demo machines. I love doing these, as I get as much back from people who attend, If you guys wanted a 2-3 day courses they are out there from others, Prices will vary for those
If anyone could ever get a few people together ,say at a cdt or one of our other outlets , we could perhaps put something on ,more local to have a morning/ afternoon runthrough, so people didn't have to travel to me.
Contact for my day , on the web
Ooow only an hour from me.
thinking-023.GIF

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tips on cleaning grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Work Done Epoxy grout was installed by the Grouting company on the tiles on the external balcony...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello Tilers! I am a homeowner in California and I thought I'd come say hi in search of a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB