Discuss To decouple or not to decouple... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi all...hope you all well. Got a job booked in for next week laying 30 sq mtrs of modular tiles onto a concrete floor with piped UFH. Floor been down for a year and all UFH tested out OK. I feel that it would be best to put down a decoupling membrane but customer not happy with that as he says tiles in his last house were straight onto the concrete and never had a problem in 15 years. Whats your opinions please? Thanks in advance. :mad2:

M

mowzer

Hi there - I've just posted some pics our our screed on piped UFH in another thread:

http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/46537-tiling-over-cracked-screed.html

You could show the customer those - that might convince him. We didnt' know about de-coupling, but wish we did. All screed will crack eventually, and we have hairline fractures in at least 10 tiles in our kitchen (24 foot by 12 foot). Really annoying and in our new extention we have used Ditra and it has been down for 18 months and we have no problems at all. I know it is spendy, but in the end it is a whole lot less hassle.

I suppose you tell them that if they don't want to use a de-coupling product - that they would need to sign something to say that any cracking wouldn't be your responsibility.

D

deankyall

I did 4 houses 18 months ago, straight onto screen with underfloor heating and haven't had a problem at all, I in fact talked to mapei this week and they said de coupling mat wasn't necessary at all, so who's right, I also have started to suggest it to customers,the uptake so far is zero, not helped by my local tile wholesaler who when I sent a customer in to get more info ,told them they could use mapei s2 straight onto green faced chipboard,backed up by mapei, I just want to know who is correct, after all been done for years without de coupling.!!!

Reply to To decouple or not to decouple... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in our renovated kitchen tomorrow. Tiles are 450x450x10...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I will soon be installing the Wunda EPS 400 UFH boards in my own kitchen, approx 50m2...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
To decouple or not to decouple...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.