Discuss to plaster or not - tiling directly onto plasterboard?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kje

Hi again ,

Thanks to everyone for your advice - it seems that there is no need to plaster - which will save a few pennies.

However my builder (who will be paid to do the plastering) insists that we will regret not plastering 'cos he says that if we want to take the tiles off in the future (which is highly unlikely) the plasterboard will be ruined and will need to be redone.

Has anyone any thoughts on this point of view?

Regards, kje.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Hi again ,

Thanks to everyone for your advice - it seems that there is no need to plaster - which will save a few pennies.

However my builder (who will be paid to do the plastering) insists that we will regret not plastering 'cos he says that if we want to take the tiles off in the future (which is highly unlikely) the plasterboard will be ruined and will need to be redone.

Has anyone any thoughts on this point of view?

Regards, kje.

as you say, it is unlikely YOU will take them off, and what the builder is saying might not be the case!!!, sound's like a case of sour-grapes at not doing the skimming £, good luck with your choice , how about posting a few pic's before and after ?? we like pic's :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

We used to do a lot of tiling onto dry lining - just taped joints and no plaster - a great surface.
Your builder is right about the future state of the walls but even if plastered they will need re skimming at that stage.
I'd go for the unplastered finish to tile on but make sure it's taped and flat because he is going to tell you it wouldn't have been that bad IF you'd had it skimmed!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to to plaster or not - tiling directly onto plasterboard?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
to plaster or not - tiling directly onto plasterboard??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.