UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss to seal before or after in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi All

Got a job of tiling a bathroom walls with 60x30 polished porcelain tiles.
Ive always sealed the tiles before starting tiling but my customer has just told me hes taken all 18 boxes up to the bathroom for me, my question is, is it ok to seal the tiles once they are up? I'll be using weber spf in white and would keep the tiles clean but in 7 years of tiling ive never not sealed any tile first.

Your thoughts are appreciated

many thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ceramics wont as they have a glaze surface, which is like a thin sheet of glass. But porcelain, if you leave a few drops of water on it and after half hour they're still as you left them and you can wipe them away with no marks, shouldn't need sealing. Though you can find porcelain that'll soak in the water after a period of time, those need sealing.

There's also a felt pen test, if you use a felt pen on it and can wipe it away, it should be fine as is. If it leaves a slight stain, they need sealing.

Porcelain can have a porosity rate of < 1% - but that's still enough to soak in water.

(I might be wrong with some of the finder details there but I think i'm on the right track - lol)

Y

ythan

I've done a bit of research:

Evidently it's the polishing process that can cause problems (staining) with polished porcelain, particularly imported far eastern tiles. The polishing process grinds away some of the top surface, and can increase porosity, and risk of staining.

Most if not all non-polished porcelain tiles should not need sealing, but best test as suggested above.

Meanwhile, here's what one tile supplier recommends - no mention of sealing.
[h=1]''Polished Porcelain Tiles[/h] Suitable for Walls and Floors A collection of polished porcelain black and white wall and floor tiles, available in two size formats rectangular 600x300 and square 600x600. These tiles are extremely hard wearing and suitable for all domestic and commercial situations.

To protect the tiles from scratching during transportation and storage an oily substance is thinly applied to the surface of these tiles. This is best removed by using a small amount of white grout (in powder form) and a dry paper towel, the powder will absorb the oil. We recommend that this process is carried out after grouting when the grout is dry as this would prevent dry powder falling into the joints.''

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to to seal before or after in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.