UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss To silicon or not to silicone, that is the question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mitchino

I have just finished tiling a three wall matki shower enclosure with glass mosaics. There are two vertical corners, and three horizontal corners. The horizontal corners of the shower tray have a lip and the tiles overlap this to provide a seal.

Do I have to put silicone along all these edges? I'd rather not, but if it means it's more likely to leak then I will. It's been grouted with Mapei flexible anti-mold grout.

M

mitchino

Did not do surface waterproofing, mosaics are laid onto bare aquapanel.

Before I renovated the shower, it had white silicone in the corners. It looked a bit rough, as the mosaics and grout mean it doesn't have a nice straight edge. I will silicone it according to everyone's advice, but would prefer to do it in clear silicone. Any reason why not?

Thanks BTW for all the help so far - fantastic forum.

D

Daz

With mosaics, I would use clear silicone in the vertical corners (carefully scrape out the grout with a grout rake first) and white silicone for the tiles to shower tray (again rake out grout between tiles and shower tray first).

A quick silicone tip:
Use a very greasy washing up / water mix to smooth off a fine bead of silicone and your silicone will look tidy and shiney.

Good luck,

Daz

Oh well that's that ballsed up then! :sad3:

Will have to silicone over top. The problems I had with the shower in the past were due to the fact that the plasterboard behind the tiles got wet and fell apart. I was hoping the aquapanel would prevent this happening even if the grout failed and it got wet.

And there's another thing, many people think Aqua panel, Hardi Backer are 'waterproof' they are not and do not claim to be, they will allow water to pass through them without breaking down like plasterboard.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to To silicon or not to silicone, that is the question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Hi all, As per the title, my tiler has grouted the internal corners of our new shower enclosure...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
To silicon or not to silicone, that is the question
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.