Discuss To tank or not to tank in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi there Danetre.

I would not tile straight onto Blockwork, I recommend :
Clean block work of snots dirt dust flakeyness & free of paint etc.
prime with SBR.
Dot & Dab tile backer board plumb & Flat, making sure all joints are boardglued together.
Tank whole board installation.
Then tile.

Hint: As you have created a water tight strong substrate, you still have a porous Tile (stone)
making sure the tiles & grout are sealed properly and silicone'd.

I have to tile a walk in shower using limestone tiles which weigh in at 30+ kg/m3

Could I tile straight on to the concrete blockwork and would the blockwork need priming first?

If I use hardiebacker boards do I need to tank as I understand tanking reduces the weight the wall will take?

Any advice appreciated

Answer to your Question,
Q: reducing the weight the wall will take... ?
A: no, it wouldn't affect the walls strength.

Thanks Hi Peak

I rang Bal today regarding using WP1 but it will only carry 32kg/m2 and the tiles alone are around 35 kg. Surely someone else has had this problem as stone tiles are very common now.

Do you know the reason for not tiling direct to block, they are concrete and not cinder.

Any other ideas?

I accept the stone will have to be sealed.

Hi Danetre, I was recommending what I would do, by all means listen to Doug. I prefer to create a substrate that's all.
Good luck.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to To tank or not to tank in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, probably a pretty common question but I'm going around in circles looking online for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB