Discuss To tile on 18mm ply or? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jim85

Hi, first post and a beginner to tiling (first job as a favor to parents!). The job is a small bathroom ( 5 x 8 ft ), original subfloor was rotten/warped chipboard that had been soaking over a period of 5+ years from a leaking bath seal. Pulled it all up and put down 18mm ply over joists with a dozen noggins glued and screwed in to take out as much deflection as possible. The floor is now solid and am wondering what would be the next step in preparing the surface before tiling.

Undersides and edges were primed with an acrylic primer.
The joins in the plywood are all supported by joists/noggins and all bar one join in the ply is perfectly flush. The one join has a lip of about 1 -2 mil.
Tiles have already been bought and are 280 x 360 johnson ceramics.

I've read countless posts and information about covering the ply with ditra, durabase, 6mm hardibacker and just tiling straight over the ply, but can't decide what would be the best option. I was thinking of thinsetting durabase over the ply to both get rid of the lip and provide a good tiling substrate at the same time (I believe this method would add the least depth to the current floor level as ideally that would be kept to a minimum). My questions regarding this method is with the thinset choice.

Would I have to prime/seal the top of the ply?
Would I use modified/unmodified thinset to lay the durabase?
Would I then use a waterproof flexi bagged adhesive on top of that? I've seen vids/posts showing tiles being bed in a further layer of thinset on top of the matting.

Any direction would be much appreciated as a bit lost in the options that seem to be available to me right now

Cheers

Jim

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to To tile on 18mm ply or? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Would you use Durabase matting over Hardie 6mm floor? Im not 100% happy with the ply floor...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've taken on the task of tiling my own kitchen, and before I wreck everything and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB