Discuss Today I experienced the worst electric shock my career Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Today I experienced the worst electric shock my career Discussion ThreadToday I experienced the worst electric shock my career Electrical Advice

Today, I experienced the most severe electrical shock of my career. Fortunately, I'm here to write about it. I've been replaying the situation in my mind, analysing what I could have done differently to prevent it. The most crucial takeaway is this: ALWAYS ASSUME ALL EXTERNAL METAL LIGHTS ARE LIVE UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

Here's what happened:

The customer has garden lighting with GU10 spike lights, some of which weren't functioning and showed visible signs of water ingress. We went outside, and I asked the customer to turn the lights on to identify which ones were still working. She switched them on, and a few of the GU10s lit up. The customer then asked what I would replace them with, so I opened a box containing a new GU10 spike light. She noticed the spike seemed a bit short, and I explained that I could order extensions or possibly reuse the spikes from her existing lights. To demonstrate, I picked up one of the existing GU10 spike lights that was functioning and showed no visible signs of water ingress. As I reached out to grab the spike to unscrew it, I suddenly became part of the circuit. My hand immediately clamped around the light, and I was paralysed by the shock. I distinctly remember feeling utterly helpless as the current surged through my body. I let out a terrible scream and collapsed towards the ground. I'm not sure how long I was in contact with the light, but it felt like several seconds. Suddenly, the power cut off, and I was able to release my grip. I turned pale, and the customer was utterly shocked.

After sitting down and ensuring I was okay, I went to inspect the RCD, which I believed had saved my life. To my surprise, the only circuit that had tripped was a non-RCD protected 10Amp Type B MCB. I had tripped the overcurrent device!

I suspect that as I fell towards the ground, the light made contact with the soil, allowing enough fault current to flow, perhaps?

I felt both embarrassed and angry that the circuit wasn't RCD protected.

To...

Read more

Today I experienced the worst electric shock my career for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Today I experienced the worst electric shock my career Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
Today I experienced the worst electric shock my career Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond