Discuss Tommorrow's customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SandyFloor

I went this evening to prep a floor I'll be fitting tomorrow. On the way out I noticed a frame on the wall with a photo of the guy being awarded a medal by the Queen and the medal underneath...A Conspicious Gallantry Cross. I looked him up. He was a sergeant in the Paras and he led his men out of a hopelessly outnumbered situation in Iraq 2003. It's the next down medal for bravery under fire from the VC. A real war hero.

I think I might be feeling quite humble tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SandyFloor

I copied some text I found:

The Parachute Regiment was based in Maysan Province, mostly quiet though they did have sporadic encounters with Iraqi guerrillas. A patrol of six Royal Military Policemen all from 156 Provost Company RMP attached to 1 PARA were surrounded and killed on 24 June, 2003 by Iraqi gunmen in Majar Al Kabir. A patrol from 1 PARA were also in Majar Al Kabir when it was ambushed by Iraqi guerrillas, coming under heavy attack. Several members of the subsequent QRF were wounded as their Chinook helicopter came under heavy ground fire as it attempted to land.

Sergeant Gordon Robertson was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross - the second highest award for bravery in the face of the enemy after the Victoria Cross - as part of the awards list in October. This was the first CGC to be awarded to the Parachute Regiment.
1 and 3 PARA left Iraq along with the rest of 16 Air Assault Brigade in September.

S

SandyFloor

Thanks for that. Did the job today and he was a great guy. Weird thing is he originates from around here ( his family still here) and not a word about it in local rags at the time. He's now in private security in war zones and no doubt making a packet. I didn't mention the medal as I know a most of these guys are modest about it and don't care for the fuss.

Got some advice from him regarding how to deal with my stepson's mother with him being in Afghanistan.....it was basically 'don't tell her anything'. Any activity she knows about will just drive her mad with worry.

It was good to meet a real hero and puts into perspective people getting all excited by celebrities which I've always found ridiculous anyway.

M

mikethetile

one of my customers got an award for bravery from the Queen

he took his kids to the fair and while waiting for them on a ride a lad fell of a big wheel and laid unconsious under the ride as the wheel carried on, my customer climbed under the ride and laid on top of the lad in case he tried to stand up when he regained conciousness

he had the award and press cuttings framed on the wall

W

White Room

Thanks for that. Did the job today and he was a great guy. Weird thing is he originates from around here ( his family still here) and not a word about it in local rags at the time. He's now in private security in war zones and no doubt making a packet. I didn't mention the medal as I know a most of these guys are modest about it and don't care for the fuss.

Got some advice from him regarding how to deal with my stepson's mother with him being in Afghanistan.....it was basically 'don't tell her anything'. Any activity she knows about will just drive her mad with worry.

It was good to meet a real hero and puts into perspective people getting all excited by celebrities which I've always found ridiculous anyway.

Some guys cannot just walk away from that kind of work but shows some real bottle though

Reply to Tommorrow's customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

After persuading a customer against ordering her tiles from another supplier because of delivery...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tommorrow's customer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.