Discuss Too honest or stupid? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richiep

Hi everyone,

I need to write this as i'm seeking a bit of a confidence boost, and also just to check that i was correct in my actions!!

I was asked last Friday night to tile a light commercial use shower and 4 x 4-tile splashbacks in a works office building. The builder is a friend and i was grateful for the work as this would be my first shower, so was looking forward to doing it. He was being pressured by a project manager to get the tiling done on a budget of £320 to include labour and materials(yes, tiles as well). This however also include a 2sqm kitchen splashback which i wasn't going to do. I was supposed to be doing the job today, tomorrow and Friday.

When i arrived at the offices this morning after travelling a round trip of 35 miles to collect materials; all of which the project manager questioned the need for; i was shown the shower area. I noticed the plaster and it felt damp. I asked the builder how long ago were they finished and he said 1 week.

Now this is where i lost the job, i explained that you can't tile onto new plaster for at least 4 weeks so the plaster can dry and build its bond strength; or you risk tiles and plaster coming away. The builder was fine about this and said come back in 4 weeks, however, the project manager said,"i've built hundreds of houses and that's rubbish, it can be done in a week".

They are buying the materials off me and that's it, i'm fuming!! They didn't even want the walls primed or tanked which i also said was necessary to start with!!

Please give me some feedback on this, should i just keep quiet to make an easy buck? I've always thought i want to be known for doing things well and properly, but looks like i'm going to lose jobs doing that!!

Do you guys stick to best practice?

Rich:thumbsdown::mad2::prrr::yikes:

C

Colour Republic

Was it skim onto plasterboard or a float and set plaster

As whitbeam says, was it skimmed or float and set?

Skimmed walls will very rarely need 4 weeks to dry out where as float and set could (sometimes even more)

Depending on how the walls were plastered would determine wether you or the project manager were right.

But if the walls were still damp then no, it shouldn't be tiled.

Don't do anything you are not comfortable about and if you are unsure then check it out before commiting yourself.

Good luck

Reply to Too honest or stupid? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Too honest or stupid?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.