UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Too much of a gap in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kkelly77

Hi all,
I started putting up my wall tiles today. All was going fine however, it appears the gap between tiles at the internal corner is way too big(see photo). All tiles are level horizontally and vertically so I assume the walls are off. I couldn't add extra tile as I would be cutting strips a few mm's wide to compensate. Can anyone advise what should I do in this situation?
Also, do you need to let the adhesive set for 24hrs before you can grout or can you grout sooner?
K

Attachments

• 010920101105.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 277
S

Stewart

You should always check your wall to see if they are plumb with a spirit level as part of your setting out. You should never have a full tile in the corner unless the layout and trueness of the walls allows it. you should always check, then check again that your layout for walls and floor is going work. As for grouting, it depends on what type of adhesive you have used, but my own rule is never to grout the same day!

As Stewart says, never a good idea to have a full tile to a corner for this exact reason, hard to tell from the picture just how big a gap it is, if it's not ( too ) big you may get away with a larger silicone bead, as for grouting, what adhesive did you use, what size tiles are they as well, if large format, above 300 x 250mm ( rule of thumb ) then a powder adhesive should have been used over tubbed adhesive as this will take a long time to fully set, if it does.

So, a few questions back at you too :)

K

kkelly77

Let me first start by saying :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

OK, now to answer your questions :lol:

Tile size is 400mmx250mm. I used pre mixed adhesive as thats what the lads in the tile store gave me. I have powder grout for the walls as well as flexi powder adhesive/grout for the floor. The gap at its widest is 13/14mm :oops: Spot the new guy! I still have the rest of the room to tile so at least I won't make that mistake again.

K

K

kkelly77

If they havn't been up to long you shold be able to get them off in one piece, as tubbed addy on those sized tiles will take a few days to dry out properly, then just clean them, and the wall off, adjust your setting out and retile, with the proper addy. A pain in the butt i know, but you will get a lot better finish

tiles have been up for nearly 24hrs and seem fairly stuck on. Whats the best way to get them off without damaging the surrounding tiles? I've only got a very limited supply left of replacements.

K

K

kkelly77

Let me first start by saying a big thanks to all for their sound advice. It is very much appreciated. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've attached 4 photos. The first is a photo of the original issue, a HUGE gap between tiles at the corner. The second is a photo of the tiles I need to refit. The tiles came off worryingly easy :yikes:. The third photo you can see the gap has significantly reduced to a few mm's :hurray:. The fourth photo I took to show that I needed to widen the grout joint between the 2 full tiles. I think I got lucky with this though as the lower vertical joint will be covered by the shower, the middle with have the shower holder attached to the wall in front of it and the top one...............well, it'll just have to do.

So, in short, success!! Again thanks to you guys for all your help.

K

Attachments

• 020920101107.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 020920101111.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 020920101112.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 020920101113.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 99
K

kkelly77

The tiles came off easily because you have used the wrong type of adhesive, unfortunately,for the size of tiles. You should really be removing all the tiles I'm afraid. As has been stated you should be using a cement based (bagged) adhesive.
I can't quite tell from the pictures, but have you tiled over emulsion paint:yikes:

Everywhere that has been tiled so far is onto new plasterboard. There is part of the other wall that has paint on it. Must have been done some years ago.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Too much of a gap in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.