Currently reading:
Too thick to cut?

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss Too thick to cut? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

Not a full time tiler and questioning everything but..I need a wet saw to cut a lot of 45's in 20mm, 12" marble tile. Is the Sealey 180 a decent bench saw for a small but tricky job? Any other options anyone might suggest would be welcome.. thanks
No, it is not what you need. You need a real 10'' blade saw to make those cuts. You can hire/rent a wet saw if you don't want to spend £700 to 800£ for a good wet saw, get a brand-new diamond blade, you will then get good marble cuts.
I used to get my diamond blades while living in London from these guys. Pretty decent Dimond blades at very good price, good customer service as well.

Send us some pictures as you advance in the job. I would love to see some good quality natural stone pictures. Good luck!

Last edited:
Not a full time tiler and questioning everything but..I need a wet saw to cut a lot of 45's in 20mm, 12" marble tile. Is the Sealey 180 a decent bench saw for a small but tricky job? Any other options anyone might suggest would be welcome.. thanks
Last 12mm , half inch of the 45deg cut is a high risk to break the tile on most bench saws loosing the corner
Using a straight edge and clamps . a hand held wet saw like a circular saw , can set at part depth and put a scoring cut first , can even plunge a little deeper towards end of cut , then cut again at full depth to avoid breakout if need good cuts

Just had a look at the sealey machine , tbh, get better results with a 4 inch grinder and dry cut stone blade the fast cut type , assuming the 45 cuts are going the perimeter or covered corners thats how i would cut them .
Only need a wetsaw for cuts that are seen

Last edited:
Last 12mm , half inch of the 45deg cut is a high risk to break the tile on most bench saws loosing the corner
Using a straight edge and clamps . a hand held wet saw like a circular saw , can set at part depth and put a scoring cut first , can even plunge a little deeper towards end of cut , then cut again at full depth to avoid breakout if need good cuts

Just had a look at the sealey machine , tbh, get better results with a 4 inch grinder and dry cut stone blade the fast cut type , assuming the 45 cuts are going the perimeter or covered corners thats how i would cut them .
Only need a wetsaw for cuts that are seen
Good advice very much appreciated. Thanks for your time Kastar

No, it is not what you need. You need a real 10'' blade saw to make those cuts. You can hire/rent a wet saw if you don't want to spend £700 to 800£ for a good wet saw, get a brand-new diamond blade, you will then get good marble cuts.
I used to get my diamond blades while living in London from these guys. Pretty decent Dimond blades at very good price, good customer service as well.

Send us some pictures as you advance in the job. I would love to see some good quality natural stone pictures. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply TMG. The 10" is an intimidating machine but once I mess up 1 or 2 cuts on a small saw I'll bear it in mind. If I find some natural stone pictures on the way to the hire shop I'll post them

Reply to Too thick to cut? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to cut these but every one seems to chip and break the corners off the tiles . wet sawing seems to be...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

TF on Facebook

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.