UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Topical Sealers??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

Well i have to put my hands up here!!! I've been tiling for a long time now and really thought i knew my stuff, especially when it comes to fixing and sealing stone, but..
this forum has bought to light something i have never heard of, and after talking to my friends in several very large stone outlets neither have they.
These and myself are not inexperienced or naive in the ways of stone, but it appears this is something that needs to be ironed out.
There are numerous refences to Topical sealers, but only in answers to threads, can someone tell everyone what they are and why they are a nono, and include (if your can on this forum) a few examples of a topical sealer.
I fix lots of travertine and in accordance with my favorite sealer manufacturer Fila, i impregnate with Filafob, grout, wait to dry and then maybe add another coat of Filafob, but more usually add two coats of Fila Satin effect wax, and i have never had a problem, with whiting over or maintenance.
Now i can't find the answer to this one.. is Fila Satin And Fila Matt a 'topical' sealer???
If they are do i need to start using a different brand such as LTP, which people are raving about. If so, which products would i use, and you need to consider most of my customers prefer a slightly gloss finish.
If you knowledgable fella's could explain this matter in a dedicated post i would be really grateful.
:smilewinkgrin:

D

DHTiling

Hi...

A topical sealer is one that is applied to the surface of stone and leaves a coating.. such as a semi gloss finish or full gloss... these are artificial enhancements to give the stone a different finish to the fatory one.. so a honed stone can be given a gloss finish..

This finish is not permanent and wears off, and regular applications and strip downs are required... and they are not suitable for wet areas.. or even exterior use..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Topical Sealers??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, Finding it a little hard to get my head around something and hoping one of you might be...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Hi - we're renovating a house in Norfolk at the mo. I am getting conflicting advice from the...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
I think my question has been partly answered by @Andrew near the very end of this thread, but...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.