Guest viewing is limited

Recommended Tile Suppliers

We recommend a couple of tile suppliers, Topps Tiles and Tile Giant.

They supply good adhesive brands and provide trade discounts for genuine tilers.

Discuss Topps - wrong or correct? in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com.

D

dantheram

As you may have read on my other thread I'm relaying my kitchen floor and being a novice I came here, and other places, in search of friendly advice.

My latest destination was topps tiles and here is the result -

they say -

1) dont use a 10mm trowel to lay my 6mm insulation boards use only a skim of adhesive.

2) flex grout will crack when my floor goes from freezing to hot - use a flexible additive in the grout and it won't.

3) don't put SLC on the heat mat as this will hinder the heating power of the system

5) my tile choice is old fashioned haha

confused is not the word!!

1. I use 6mm trowel for insulation boards but are unsure of what type you have.
2. flex grout should be fine. I use ball supa-flex on floors.
3. slc will help dissipate the heat more evenly and help with installation of floor tiling.
5. is your choice. pics would be nice
4. its always good to have extra adhesive.
Hope this helps. love the order 5 should always come before 4.

D

dantheram

1. I use 6mm trowel for insulation boards but are unsure of what type you have.
2. flex grout should be fine. I use ball supa-flex on floors.
3. slc will help dissipate the heat more evenly and help with installation of floor tiling.
5. is your choice. pics would be nice
4. its always good to have extra adhesive.
Hope this helps. love the order 5 should always come before 4.

i have xps boards (I know they're not popular on here so should I send them back? Will consider this only if they are going to be of detriment to my floor build up, so please be honest)

gamma38

TF
Bedford
6mm trowel for me as well. I always cover the mat with self level, it serves a couple of purposes. It eliminates damage to the mat by too much foot traffic, and makes spreading adhesive easier as your trowel won't damage the mat. Also there will be no air gaps which will in turn allow a more evenly distributed heat. I use xps boards sometimes, just be careful when laying them until they are covered with the self level as they damage easily.

D

dantheram

6mm trowel for me as well. I always cover the mat with self level, it serves a couple of purposes. It eliminates damage to the mat by too much foot traffic, and makes spreading adhesive easier as your trowel won't damage the mat. Also there will be no air gaps which will in turn allow a more evenly distributed heat. I use xps boards sometimes, just be careful when laying them until they are covered with the self level as they damage easily.

i hadn't heard about the pros an cons before I brought them just saw the 50% saving over same thickness marmox. Live an learn I guess.

The SLC is going straight on - no tea breaks till it's down!!

D

dantheram

The floor is rough with a few 1/2mm variations, and very few 3/4mm ones. Will the 6mm trowel cover these?

gamma38

TF
Bedford
thank you for the advice.

Another one - when I lay the insulation board how long should I wait before I walk/kneel on the boards to lay the UFH and pour SLC?

Thanks,

Dan
It depends if you use rapid set or not. Whatever it says on the bag for drying times...

Reply to Topps - wrong or correct? in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Topps - wrong or correct?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond