UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Travertine 1st timer.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andy T

Hi all,
I am doing my bathroom and have decided on a Travertine honed and filled tile 12mm thick.
The tile is 300mm x 450mm.I am doing the walls and the floor in the same tile.
My bathroom is solid brick construction with a sand and cement render in rather good solid condition.
What would be the best way to prepare the walls ready for tiling? Do i need to seal the wall with a type of primer
and what would you recommend for filling the small areas in the wall(somebody told me to use rapidset adhesive as a filler)
Thanks for your help
Andy

B

bugs183

Hiya!
A well rendered surface is great to tile too,and it shouldn't need sealing so long as you use a quality cement based adhesive, which needs to be white, so that the grey doesn't leach through the tile. I tend to use slow drying adhesives with stone as its much nicer to use, and is easier to wash off during the tiling process. Manufacturers such as BAL, Dunlop and Mapei all make ideal adhesives, but i have heard really good things about Mapei Keraflex, and Keraflex Maxi, as they really hold the tile in place, and offer good value for money. These could also be used to fill your voids, as you don't want an adhesive that will slump when used, as good as Dunlop is, it does slump. And do not use any porable adhesive any where on the walls as it will go everywhere (but some stockists love selling it anyway!!).
Good luck!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine 1st timer.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me. I have a brick wall that’s had render put on it and...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.