Discuss Travertine (again!) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pgreen1011

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to apologise for another travertine thread :mad2: I will have loads of questions so I thought this would a point of reference for me.

In a few weeks I will be refurbing my own bathroom. I have always liked the look of a natural stone and travertine is top of my list.

I believe they have to be sealed to avoid staining? Is this a one-off treatment or something that has to be done regularly? Are they worth the extra labour or would a ceramic alternative be easier to maintain?

cheers

Paul

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
hi paul, you should seal them before grouting, and then best to redo it every 12 to 18 months, sooner if you notice any stains apearing, allways use white adhesive, and what kind of walls are you fixing to? some natural is to heavy to fix on to plaster, ceramics are less upkeep and easier to fix but do not give the wow factor of natural stone.

P

pgreen1011

hi paul, you should seal them before grouting, and then best to redo it every 12 to 18 months, sooner if you notice any stains apearing, allways use white adhesive, and what kind of walls are you fixing to? some natural is to heavy to fix on to plaster, ceramics are less upkeep and easier to fix but do not give the wow factor of natural stone.

Hi Andy

They will be fixed to newly plastered (4weeks) brickwork, a pretty sound foundation?
12-18 months doesn't sound too much of a drama for resealing.

As above and to clarify "white adhesive" Andy means flexible cement based adhesive and not your ready mixed.

Hi Paul

Do you have a recomendation for an adhesive?

Cheers guys

Paul

P

pgreen1011

Hi Paul, sorry to pour oil on the water but it sounds like your walls will not take the weight of the tile you intend on fixing, the recommended weight for plaster is 20 kg m2, that includes the weight of the the tile, adhesive and grout.

Hi Alan,

I appricate your advice. What is the alternative to fixing to plaster?

Cheers, I really didn't realise the weight involed

If sealed correctly and maintained with the correct products then a sealer will last years before any more applications are required

This of course is impregnators and not topical sealers

Thanks Dave,

Can you recomend a sealer?

Thank you all for your help

Paul

P

pgreen1011

As above, you could overboard with cement boards or plasterboards (I would prefer cement boards) as for adhesives and sealers, do you have a Tile Giant near you?

Mapei: Tile Giant Store Finder...

If you go in to any of their stores, they will point you in the right direction regarding adhesives, grouts, primers, sealers and so on :thumbsup:

Cheers Rich,

Rayleigh is 10 mins from me. Will pop in.

If I remember rightly Tile Giant had 600 x 400 tiles for £19.99 m2. Does anyone have experience with this product?

Cheers

Paul

C

cyclonebri1

:52:
As above, you could overboard with cement boards or plasterboards (I would prefer cement boards) as for adhesives and sealers, do you have a Tile Giant near you?

Mapei: Tile Giant Store Finder...

If you go in to any of their stores, they will point you in the right direction regarding adhesives, grouts, primers, sealers and so on :thumbsup:

Ok, look I'm not quite getting this,

Newly plastered walls are not ok.

But overboard with another layer of plasterboard or cement/no more ply and it is???

Doesn't that just about double the weight off wall?

And no mention of method of fixing here either, surely it has to be mechanical to bypass the skim/plaster weak link???????????????????????? Confused Brian

R

Rich

:52:

Ok, look I'm not quite getting this,

Newly plastered walls are not ok.

But overboard with another layer of plasterboard or cement/no more ply and it is???

Doesn't that just about double the weight off wall?

And no mention of method of fixing here either, surely it has to be mechanical to bypass the skim/plaster weak link???????????????????????? Confused Brian

Yes it should be mechanically fixed. This will be the recommended technique of installing the cement boards, this info will be given to the customer when the purchase the boards (and screws that are sold with them) and will be in any literature relating to the boards. Nobody was recommending NOT screwing the boards back. Should have been clearer, sorry to confuse you.

Reply to Travertine (again!) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Travertine (again!)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.