Discuss Travertine etching in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Justin G

Surprisingly Google doesn't seem to be providing me with quite a simple and I would imagine common problem!

How do you remove etching from Honed (not polished) Travertine? The etching was caused by a spillage of chemical cleaner on a bathroom floor, resulting in a dull patch (not stained).

I've found one product - Aldon Fine Stone Restoration but it only seems to be available in the States?

C

Concrete guy

It needs mechanically repolishing, there isn't a chemical solution.

As you've correctly pointed out, the surface has been etched.

If it were a dent or mark in a piece of wood you'd sand it out, well travertine is no different, but rather than sandpaper you use either silicon carbide discs or diamond pads.

For a honed product you'd probably need the following grits in silicon carbide discs assuming the damage isn't deep.

P-120
P-220
P-320

Maybe P-400 depending on the degree of honing of the original product.

The pads above need to be used in conjunction with a backer pad on a variable speed grinder or polisher at a target speed of 1500 to 3000 rpm.

We have known these pads to be used on orbital sanders for smaller areas.

The only variable with travertine is the filler, sometimes it just doesn't take a finish to the same degree as the stone, but other than that it's quite straightforward.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine etching in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
I need to refinish all the travertine tiles in my home. They weren't sealed properly when they...
Replies
Views
MollyHowell
M
A
Hi Yesterday I tipped over the loo brush holder whilst cleaning my polished carrara marble...
Replies
Views
enduro
E
J
Dear Tilers, I'm desperate for some advice from someone who may have made the same mistake I...
Replies
Views
M
sHi. My builders laid 60 x 60 glacier ivory tiles in my kitchen a few weeks ago. I bought the...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB