UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss travertine french set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

phil w

Hi guys
recent new member, excellent forum full of great advice, hope you can give me a bit of help. Recently bought some travertine for kitchen floor (chipped edge rustic travertine pattern set) set cosists of :-
(1) 16x24, (1) 8x16, (2) 16x16 (2) 8x8
The thing I car'nt get my head around is either way you lay them their is no allowance for a grout joint. e.g two 8" laid next to a 16" if you get my meaning, I'm pretty sure it's me just looking at it completly the wrong way.
or should the tiles be butted up to each other and grouted over the chipped edge would prefer a full grout joint but either way I lay them seems to give me a step. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Guys.
Phil

D

DHTiling

Hi Phil and welcome.. two 8's do not sit beside a 16 anyway..:)

Lay to the pattern ( Opus ramano) or french.. same pattern.. now and again you have to trim a 8x8 just depends upon supplier..

images

P

phil w

Thanks Dave for taking the time to reply really appreciate it,when I said 2 8" next to a 16" ment for example to the hight of d an c next to a me not explaining myself clearly :smilewinkgrin:found the opus ramano pattern on internet after posting thread, looks like I will have to trim all the 8x8's the 5 sets I've opened so far all the tiles 8x8, 8x16 etc are bang on size is this a common problem or am I just unlucky lol.What size joint would you recommend laid them out dry with 6mm joint think it looks okay
once again thanks.

T

Time's Ran Out

The advantage with the chipped edge tiles you have bought is after cutting to fit you can re-chip the edges to match the rest.
IMHO 6mm will be too wide as the grout line will dominate the design. Also make sure you recess the grout in the joint to expose the chipped edge.
The small tile in these sets for some reason is always too big and when it happens with a porcelain/ceramic tile, I find it's often better to use a completely random design to disguise the size variations.

P

PHG Dave

Thanks Dave for taking the time to reply really appreciate it,when I said 2 8" next to a 16" ment for example to the hight of d an c next to a me not explaining myself clearly :smilewinkgrin:found the opus ramano pattern on internet after posting thread, looks like I will have to trim all the 8x8's the 5 sets I've opened so far all the tiles 8x8, 8x16 etc are bang on size is this a common problem or am I just unlucky lol.What size joint would you recommend laid them out dry with 6mm joint think it looks okay
once again thanks.

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum.
Your tile sizing is is the general rule unfortunately.
One way to work with them rather than having to resize the two smaller pieces is to keep the gaps on the smaller size and to work by eye rather than using spacers.
I have attached a picture of some opus pattern trav laid this way and if you look closely you will see that the gap between the 16x8 and 8x8 is slightly narrower than the others and the two pieces do stick out slightly beyond the edge of the 16x16 but is hardly noticeable once grouted Dark Walnut Tumbled Trav display pre grout.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to travertine french set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.