Discuss Travertine in bathrooms, how does it wear? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
I thought I'd ask the more experienced tilers what their view on trav in showers/wet areas etc. Reason is, I have it (filled+honed) on floors in 2 rooms (1 a large kitchen) and I find it very impractical. I have re-sealed it twice in less than 2 years and it's still a pain to keep clean.
Whenever I have seen it in a showering area, it looks grubby. Now, this could be down to lack of maintenance but tbh who wants to be totally sealing their bathroom more than once a year, if at all.
I see so much of it on albums, questions on it on the forum etc and it looks pretty good (though not always,it can be a bit too much) when newly tiled. Does it stand the test of time, in other people's experience?
Just how much maintenance should it need to keep looking good in that environment?

aflemi

TF
Arms
Cheers for replies.......
Lithofin MN Stainstop to seal and Lithofin easycare to clean. Must admit last sealing was a pain to absorb, it seemed to take a lot of re-wiping to absorb and there was still a tiny bit of tackiness, which has gone now.
TBH my question was as much about how the product works in bathrooms in a practical sense I was getting at, to advise potential customers as a option.

aflemi

TF
Arms
I think we have all fitted travertine in bathrooms over the years and used the correct sealers. I cannot recall ever getting a call to say there has been a problem. If the seal is applied correctly then it will do its job and to echo Doug's advice, it has to be an impregnating type.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for views guys, sounding positive, although I'd be interested in how people thought it looked after a couple of years use, maybe the ones I've seen weren't kept that well. I personally think that a ceramic or porc finish looks cleaner and fresher.
I think that in the right setting travertine can look great but it doesn't suit smaller bathrooms in my view, it seems to bring the walls in etc
Appreciate further opinions if anyone has them..............:smilewinkgrin:

T

Terry Cottar

Thanks for views guys, sounding positive, although I'd be interested in how people thought it looked after a couple of years use, maybe the ones I've seen weren't kept that well. I personally think that a ceramic or porc finish looks cleaner and fresher.
I think that in the right setting travertine can look great but it doesn't suit smaller bathrooms in my view, it seems to bring the walls in etc
Appreciate further opinions if anyone has them..............:smilewinkgrin:

As long as you use an impregnating sealer applied properley and the grout is well sealed it will outlast your lifetime. The trick is to only clean with a pH Neutral cleaner so you do not degrade the sealer that has remained on the surface and you can if you so wish reseal it in a few years time just to be absolutely sure

tel

D

DHTiling

Cheers for replies.......
Lithofin MN Stainstop to seal and Lithofin easycare to clean. Must admit last sealing was a pain to absorb, it seemed to take a lot of re-wiping to absorb and there was still a tiny bit of tackiness, which has gone now.
TBH my question was as much about how the product works in bathrooms in a practical sense I was getting at, to advise potential customers as a option.

Did you not buff off all excess sealer... it should not dry tacky... I have found HG sealers can leave a slight tackiness but never with lithofin..

I have used travertine in loads of showers/bathrooms and wetrooms and no probs ..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine in bathrooms, how does it wear? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB